6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

Moderator | Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

Scotty--

Great input. The basics cannot be overlooked. I've made a 'career' out of playing from the basics.

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.

View my lessons here at GfB&B

"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty

#2 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,249 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

Hi Scotty I've been practicing to your Am F Dm G strumming practice progression at 50bpm (instead of your 70bpm version) - not quite there yet especially getting to the F chord in time and all fingers down and in place. Getting to the Dm from there is tricky but easier because you can keep the middle finger locked on the G string and only move the other 2 fingers - also not yet very good.

I was trying to do your strumming pattern of down ups and noticed you aren't playing the same down ups as on the page - throwing in some double time D U D U D U or something every now and again on the last beat of the bar. Am I hearing correctly? Maybe that's what you were playing in the video demo if I remember correctly. Fancy but good, and very skillful. If I'm ever able to play that as well as you do I'll be able to say I can strum a guitar.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#3 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi Carol
Sorry - only just saw this response - it is possible that I changed it as I tend to just play what I feel like or hear at the moment - much to the chagrin of some of the cover acts I have worked with.
Will check it out and let you know.

#4 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,249 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

i also haven't been attending to my strumming since then :blush: so thanks for the reminder. I wasn't suggesting you change it or anything - it sounds great - I was just interested - but I also didn't go back and check the vid against the tab which I probably should have.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#5 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

Hi Carol
Just went back and checked the TAB and it is correct - it is a combination of 8th and 16th notes.

#6 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,249 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

Ha - that just shows what a beginner I am at strumming (and listening) - more practice required!! Thanks guru.

PS and there isn't a video - was I dreaming or have you removed it?

PPS I was thinking of the vid for your Holding a Pick lesson.

#7 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:04 AM

You were dreaming!
Awesome!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users