Greyman

Buying a classical guitar over the internet

Greyman    0

I am a newcomer to this forum. I am an older classical guitar "beginner." I play a steel string Taylor at nursing homes for Alzheimers patients, hymns and oldies that these folks can relate to. I just retired and started teaching myself how to play classical guitar. Several years ago I bought an inexpensive, used Samick classical guitar, model C2 but did not play it much. Since I have the time to devote to classical guitar I have been teaching myself with instruction books. The Samick C2 has a mahogany body and neck and a solid spruce top. Surprisingly it has a truss rod. The problem is the G and D strings sound very muddy and cause a disconcerting vibration (not fret buzz). The B and E strings do not sound well either - very quiet. The low E and A are fine. (The strings are new Pro Arte light tension). I took the guitar to a shop. They shaved down the braces in an attempt to bring more "life" to the G,B and high E stings but this effort did nothing to improve the tone or volume. I wasted my money. I recently played a Taylor NS 24, which is a crossover from a steel string to nylon string, but it is not a classical guitar. It sounded terrific - warm with great volume. The price, however was too high for my retired budget. I noticed that Pavan guitars offer a Spanish made model TP 10. Here's my questions. 1. Are Pavan Guitars as good as the site claims? 2. Are there better guitars for the money ($400-500). 3. Are there guitar models consistent in manufacture (such as Pavan) that one could buy safely over the internet? I apologize for the long story. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Greyman.

Sweetpicker    1

Welcome Greyman,

I would reccommend always purchasing an instrument in person and thoroughly examine it. Im speaking from experience which i will detail below, but you never know what you will get in the package once you get it. A person can really be honest about the guitar and all, however you really won't be satisfied until you can hold the instrument and play it. I'm not familiar with the Pavan Model but here are two in your range that I would reccomend.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CODC5

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAEG10NE

My Story: I saw a nice les paul on craigslist for sale. The owner showed me pics of the guitar and it's blemishes and told me it played great despite the very light damage. after emailing back and forth on price we finally settled and we met a public parking lot. the action looked good it was polished nice nad was actually in tune. So i paid him and went home.

However when i get home and plugged it in...no sound. I fiddled with the volume and tone knobs and selector switch, still nothing...I checked my amp. It was turned on, volume set at a mild tone. Still nothing...at this time I'm really confused. I switched the cables...still nothing...by this time I'm upset. :reallymad: So now I turn back to the guitar. I open the back cover and looked at the pots...and found the problem. Bad soldering. After rewiring the electronic I got it working. I was very foolish to not meet him at the guitar center that was just a block away from where we met to test it....lesson learned.

Edited by Sweetpicker

Greyman    0

Welcome Greyman,

I would reccommend always purchasing an instrument in person and thoroughly examine it. Im speaking from experience which i will detail below, but you never know what you will get in the package once you get it. A person can really be honest about the guitar and all, however you really won't be satisfied until you can hold the instrument and play it. I'm not familiar with the Pavan Model but here are two in your range that I would reccomend.

My Story: I saw a nice les paul on craigslist for sale. The owner showed me pics of the guitar and it's blemishes and told me it played great despite the very light damage. after emailing back and forth on price we finally settled and we met a public parking lot. the action looked good it was polished nice nad was actually in tune. So i paid him and went home.

However when i get home and plugged it in...no sound. I fiddled with the volume and tone knobs and selector switch, still nothing...I checked my amp. It was turned on, volume set at a mild tone. Still nothing...at this time I'm really confused. I switched the cables...still nothing...by this time I'm upset. :reallymad: So now I turn back to the guitar. I open the back cover and looked at the pots...and found the problem. Bad soldering. After rewiring the electronic I got it working. I was very foolish to not meet him at the guitar center that was just a block away from where we met to test it....lesson learned.

Greyman    0

Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated. I'll take your advice and poke around some local music stores and try out a few more guitars before I make a selection.

githead    0

Hi Greyman, when buying second hand, it is ESSENTIAL that you test the guitar before buying until you are 100% satisfied, there are lots of horror stories.

Because of this, how about rather buying a less expensive model, but brand new guitar? :)

Briandb1222    4

Welcome Greyman,

I nearly had the same exp, more or less. Same starting story. I was recent looking for a good used a acoustic under $100...I found one on craigslist for 50. It was a starcaster. Since no local shop here had them...or at least the one I went to (wasn't interested in driving all over town), I asked him if we could meet somewhere so I could give it a whirl. Well, he never responded to that so I'm guessing there was somethin wrong with it he didnt want me to see, or something.