Diverdad2008

Strings and Action for the newbie

Need Help Please. I have been reading through the topics but really have not found an answer so. First, Can you adjust the action on an acoustic guitar? If so Where can i find information on how to do it. Second question is my G, B, E strings buzz and it just sounds awful. I have heard to use heavier strings and that should fix it but i am not sure what to get. Buying strings is just a pain. but anyway I play rythm guitar so i tend to strum pretty hard at times. Like playing mostly country and classic rock. So anyway, How do i get rid of the buzz? Is it action? Is it strings? Or is it both? Please help. thanks guys.

Acoustics are set up by shaving or replacing the saddle and nut, and at times adjusting the truss rod. It might be worth a few bucks the first time around to get a tech to do it and explain the process for you.

If you get a buzz when the string is played in the open position, the nut may be too low.

If the string buzzes when you fret on the bottom 6 frets, the truss rod may be too tight.

High action up by the sound hole end of the neck may mean that the truss rod is too loose and/or the bridge/saddle setup is too high.

A lot of good tips come from a site I found a while ago: http://www.guitartips.addr.com/index.htm

As for strings, once you're set up right, going from let's say 11's to 12's is no big deal, a larger the size difference may require a new set-up, though. I usually set up for 12's, move to 13's at times or to 11's(rarely) without problems.

Acoustics are set up by shaving or replacing the saddle and nut, and at times adjusting the truss rod. It might be worth a few bucks the first time around to get a tech to do it and explain the process for you.

If you get a buzz when the string is played in the open position, the nut may be too low.

If the string buzzes when you fret on the bottom 6 frets, the truss rod may be too tight.

High action up by the sound hole end of the neck may mean that the truss rod is too loose and/or the bridge/saddle setup is too high.

A lot of good tips come from a site I found a while ago: http://www.guitartips.addr.com/index.htm

As for strings, once you're set up right, going from let's say 11's to 12's is no big deal, a larger the size difference may require a new set-up, though. I usually set up for 12's, move to 13's at times or to 11's(rarely) without problems.

Thank you very much for your help. I do appreciate it.