melrose al    0

? for you guys.I have a 2004 mim strat hss,ive bought new pups for it.I want them installed with new pots and a new 5 way switch ,strings and tuneup.My ? is ive got a pretty new Epi Studio Dot which i hate wont stay tuned at all! Ive got a local shop that will take the Dot for the work,tho i bought the pups my self.Should i do it.I know they sell prewired with pups and switch...etc for bout 195usd any help for this nitwit?

Al

carol m    64

I have no idea Al but I"m sure someone here will have advise/suggestions for you soon. Maybe you could ask at a different store and compare what they say?

sheraton    20

Hey Al :winkthumb: .............i bought an Epiphone dot studio a wee while back, and have to say as soon as i got it home i phoned the shop to see if they would take it back....i initially went to buy an amp, and somehow got sidetracked..lol

all good tho took it straight back and got my amp....didn't like the guitar same style as my Epiphone Sheraton, but not even half as good.......so i'd say go for it, however i would try and get a wee bit more from the shop, rather than just a straight trade for the work, even if it's just a couple of sets of strings....if you were trading against other goods they could give more cash wise, they can discount goods, as there will be quite a high mark-up, but a trade in against labour costs will be a different story...

do you know how much the work would cost for cash?....if so would you be happy to sell the guitar for that price?

if not i'd say pay cash for the work, and maybe trade the guitar for goods, if there's anything else you're after.....you may get a better deal that way.

Paul..............

GotDeeBlues    3

Sorry, I misread your post. This article addresses your question, and will help you decide if it's a job you want to tackle. I had enough trouble my first time with a 3 way switch, a 5'er could be a bit much at first. There is also a video out there with Seymore Duncan doing a change on a Strat, but I can't find it right now.

http://www.wikihow.com/Replace-Stratocaster-Pickups

melrose al    0

Hey Al :winkthumb: .............i bought an Epiphone dot studio a wee while back, and have to say as soon as i got it home i phoned the shop to see if they would take it back....i initially went to buy an amp, and somehow got sidetracked..lol

all good tho took it straight back and got my amp....didn't like the guitar same style as my Epiphone Sheraton, but not even half as good.......so i'd say go for it, however i would try and get a wee bit more from the shop, rather than just a straight trade for the work, even if it's just a couple of sets of strings....if you were trading against other goods they could give more cash wise, they can discount goods, as there will be quite a high mark-up, but a trade in against labour costs will be a different story...

do you know how much the work would cost for cash?....if so would you be happy to sell the guitar for that price?

if not i'd say pay cash for the work, and maybe trade the guitar for goods, if there's anything else you're after.....you may get a better deal that way.

Paul..............

Sheraton i guess im asking is the work im lookin for worth the Epi Dot?The place is a ma and pa and been around for 40 yrs.When i went to GC they didnt want to talk barter.So is 2 single coil pups a humbucker(bought by me) new poys and switch and tune up worth the Dot?

melrose al    0

Paul..............

Sorry Sherton i didnt read your whole post you answered all my ?s thank you

Al

sheraton    20

Al....i paid £150 that's uk pounds for an as new, but used Epi dot studio....guessing the shop would have at most given around £100 trade-in for it....

it's been a while since i priced a guitar set-up.....i'd guess now maybe around £50...new pots x3 and five way switch, as you're upgrading i'm guessing you want better quality parts, so another £40 easily, then capacitors wiring - are cheap only a couple of pounds....with labour on top i'd say it would be worth it......that is based on uk pricing...and my opinion...lol

let us know how you get on if you go ahead...

Paul........

karcey    42

G'day Al,

Back to the first post. You have a guitar that won't stay in tune. Hmmm. Basic physics tells us that a piece of wire stretched between two points won't change its tension (tune) except if something happens to one of those points. Forget temperature changes at this stage. So if the tuners (which are the only variable in your situation) aren't up to the job, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to upgrade them than to replace the whole guitar?

Another scenario. Maybe the timber in the body and neck are so 'flexible' they're too subject to variations in temperature and humidity. Don't suppose there's much you could do about that. But then I suppose every Dot owner would be saying the same thing and all Dots would be worth zip. Are they? I know nothing about them.

I just have this nagging doubt that you may be condemning the guitar and actually underestimating its market value. I'm always suspicious of deals.

I like Sheraton's post where he suggests you find out the actual dollar value of the work first, then decide if you are happy to take that much money for your Dot.

If you were over here I'd say bring it around and we'll do the job, then have a beer to celebrate.

Keep in touch.

GotDeeBlues    3

"Another scenario. Maybe the timber in the body and neck are so 'flexible' they're too subject to variations in temperature and humidity. Don't suppose there's much you could do about that. But then I suppose every Dot owner would be saying the same thing and all Dots would be worth zip. Are they? I know nothing about them."

Nothing wrong with the body or neck construction on the Dots, their weakness is in their harware. I bought mine from a disgusted owner for $150, replaced everything for less than $200 and she sings now. One of my favorites, good for jazz, rock,& country.

sheraton    20

i agree with GotDeeBlues, i didn't feel there was anything wrong with the construction of the dot that would affect tuning

my reason for getting rid was that when i picked up my Epiphone Sheraton after playing the dot, i realised i would always chose the sheraton over the dot and probably never use it - the sheraton feels more like a Gibson, especially after playing the dot, also i really needed/wanted a valve amp, which i got for same money - Laney vc-15

i would say for the money - around £200(new) in the uk, the dot is a decent guitar.....

another common tuning problem would be bad re-stringing - allowing the string to slip slightly in the tuner

good re-stringing an bedding in are essential for tuning stability

this pic shows how to lock the string in the tuner :winkthumb:

Paul............

untitled.bmp

GotDeeBlues    3

Similar style guitars, the Dot and Sheraton, but very different feel to their necks. That is was the deciding factor for me, plus, saving the difference between the two($200 US) helped, too.