carol m

Can I use a Condenser & a Dynamic mic at the same time?

I have a 2 line in Tascam audio interface - if I have the phantom power on for the condensor mic, can I use a dynamic mic on the other channel at the same time or will I blow/damage the dynamic mic? The phantom power is either on or off, with no way to make it one channel only - as far as I can see.

:D Thanks Scotty!

Next question: can I have a mic and a line in thru the same channel - one through the XLR and one through the line-in 1/4"jack on the audio interface? And if I can, should I have the selector switch set for the mic or the line in? I know I could experiment but I don't want to damage anything.

Thanks Scotty - I thought one of my audio inetrface channels had broken but it turned out I only had to enable channel 2 :oops: - that's my 3rd stupid mistake for 2011 by my reckoning, so I'm still on track for 365 for the year.

I have a 2 line in Tascam audio interface - if I have the phantom power on for the condensor mic, can I use a dynamic mic on the other channel at the same time or will I blow/damage the dynamic mic? The phantom power is either on or off, with no way to make it one channel only - as far as I can see.

Hi Carol--

I'm sure you got this sorted out already, but just in case:

Yes, it should be ok to do. The phantom power is not harmful to most dynamic mics, however you'll need to visit the manufacturer's website or other audio forums to find out for sure.

Steve

No worries Steve - I haven't done any recording lately, but I did try each mic in the 2 channels a while ago and it worked fine. I haven't done much playing either lately - tomorrow is another day and I'm gong to do better in the future.

Thanks Steve and Eddie - I've practiced twice already today - only about 10 minutes each time, and then each time something happened and took me away from it. I've scheduled my iCal to ping and message me 3 times a day to make me pic up a guitar at least for a short time. It seems to be working: Freight Train, Waltzing Matilda and Star Spangled banner got an airing this morning - with a metronome! :guitardude: Long way to go yet though.

I am late to this thread but I did a bit of snooping and what I found is that the mic that will not like phantom power is a ribbon mic. That one fact is a common statement in the material I found.

I just bought a condensor mic, love it by the way, but I have had this old reliable bullet proof SM57 I have been using. I just bought an Alesis with 2 channels and phantom power so I was also curious.

So, according to you folks in here and what I found elsewhere I am also going to give it a try. If anyone sees a small gray mushroom cloud in western Washington state you will know it didn't work. I just don't know who I would send the bill to. :innocent:

I am late to this thread but I did a bit of snooping and what I found is that the mic that will not like phantom power is a ribbon mic. That one fact is a common statement in the material I found.

I just bought a condensor mic, love it by the way, but I have had this old reliable bullet proof SM57 I have been using. I just bought an Alesis with 2 channels and phantom power so I was also curious.

So, according to you folks in here and what I found elsewhere I am also going to give it a try. If anyone sees a small gray mushroom cloud in western Washington state you will know it didn't work. I just don't know who I would send the bill to. :innocent:

Drs. Walter H. Schottky (the same guy who invented the Schottky diode) and Erwin Gerlach, who were the co-inventors of the ribbon mic, for not thinking of this possibility!

Drs. Walter H. Schottky (the same guy who invented the Schottky diode) and Erwin Gerlach, who were the co-inventors of the ribbon mic, for not thinking of this possibility!

Holy smokes, there are way too many smart people in here.

I can't play guitar worth a darn and now I feel stupid on top of that.

Good thing I am so darn good looking.cool0010.gif