carol m

Electric vs Acoustic Electric Pickups

carol m    64

Can someone explain to me (in plain language) why an electric guitar doesn't need a battery but the pickups produce loud sound when plugged into an audio interface even though unplugged it's very quiet, but

an electric acoustic guitar needs a battery to allow it to produce plugged-in sound when plugged into the same device, even though it's naturally louder?

Also, is the battery in an electric acoustic being drained if the guitar is left plugged-in to an audio interface, even if it's not being played? I assume that it is, but I wanted to know for sure.

OldG    3

Electric guitars and basses may need batteries sometimes too.. if they have a pre-amp built in that needs powering. This setup is 'active' - while a pickup which gives clean/compatible enough signal not to need preamping is 'passive'.

In a nutshell, the piezo pickup in your el-ac gives a signal that needs buffering to play nice with your amp/interface - hence the powered pre-amp.

That help?

carol m    64

In a way, but where does the passive electric guitar get it's electricity/power from to boost the signal? Is it magnetic, or a current from somewhere between 2 electrodes - I haven't a clue really and have forgotten most of my school physics. I know a condenser mic gets it's power from the phantom power of the pre-amp but a simple line-in doesn't really have any power of it's own does it - but it is plugged into the computer so maybe it gets it's power from there. Is the passive electric guitar the same?

OldG    3

In a way, but where does the passive electric guitar get it's electricity/power from to boost the signal? Is it magnetic?

Passive pickups don't need a boost to play through guitar amps ( you only need boost the signal to go into line in on interfaces etc)... and yes it is just a magnet that monitors the string movement above it and the amp does the rest of the sound makin'( after vol/tone on the guitar of course).

sheraton    20

electric guitar pickups actually generate electricity - the vibration of the string over the magnet and coil produduces an electric signal which is then amplified by the.......amplifier

acoustic guitars with a pickup or active electric guitars have a pre-amp which requires battery power.

Paul.................