Small forum modification

20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:53 AM

If you haven't noticed already, I have added an image browser to the "Let's See Your Equipment" forum so that all the images in that forum can be seen without having to go into each thread separately.

I think it's a pretty neat modification. Thanks goes to Michiel Hendriks over at vbulletin.org for making this available.

I've tested it on most browsers and it seems to work ok. IE throws up a vertical scroll bar which I personally hate, but in this case I'm willing to live with it for now.

Cheers

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#2 OFFLINE   coldethyl

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,729 posts
  • Joined 15-November 05

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:56 AM

This forum's lookin' good!
Thanks Clancy!
"Good Music is that which penetrates the ear with facility and quits the memory with difficulty" Thomas Beecham

#3 ONLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,053 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:04 AM

Neat :thumbup1:
Deja Moo: The feeling that you’ve heard this bull before.

#4 OFFLINE   si16

• Moderators

• 6,096 posts
  • Joined 07-November 05

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:19 AM

Neat facility, works well.

#5 OFFLINE   737blues

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:58 AM

That's a great little browser addition Clancy, Works just fine with Firefox 1.5.0.1 :yes:

#6 OFFLINE   nocat

• Active Members
  • 865 posts
  • Joined 17-February 06

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:19 AM

Doesn't work with linked images, huh...? Bummer...!!!
I guess I'll remain in obscurity...!!! :isaynothing: :P
All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Albert Schweitzer

#7 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:07 AM

nocat said:

Doesn't work with linked images, huh...? Bummer...!!!
I guess I'll remain in obscurity...!!! :isaynothing: :P

Well there is a way around that Ben. :)

If you want to upload/attach those images to your posts, let me know and I'll change the edit post time for you so you can upload so that they'll appear...

It's always better to upload, then the file is in our database and is searchable.

I'm working on a better way to organize images and files at the moment, so this is really just a temporary measure.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#8 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,738 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:55 PM

nothing about nothing ... but was wondering outloud how deep into Linux you are Clancy?

les

Respect The Music
I'll saddle up my pony so I wont be so lonely, at least I know his heart is true

#9 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:06 PM

lcjones said:

nothing about nothing ... but was wondering outloud how deep into Linux you are Clancy?

les

Not all that deep... I just learn things as I need them. Why do you ask Les? :oops:

Clancy

#10 OFFLINE   nocat

• Active Members
  • 865 posts
  • Joined 17-February 06

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:26 PM

Clancy said:

Well there is a way around that Ben. :)

If you want to upload/attach those images to your posts, let me know and I'll change the edit post time for you so you can upload so that they'll appear...

It's always better to upload, then the file is in our database and is searchable.

I'm working on a better way to organize images and files at the moment, so this is really just a temporary measure.

Clancy

Hmmm... I thought I was saving you some space by posting the link from my server
instead of placing the file on yours... But if you find it more convenient that way, I
can just upload the files... Let me know...!
I am very adaptable...!!! :whip: :P
All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Albert Schweitzer

#11 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:32 PM

nocat said:

Hmmm... I thought I was saving you some space by posting the link from my server
instead of placing the file on yours... But if you find it more convenient that way, I
can just upload the files... Let me know...!
I am very adaptable...!!! :whip: :P

It's not a question of convenience, it's just that for little add-ons like that.. attachments show up in the browser but not linked images. You are saving us space (and bandwidth) but in this case unfortunately the end result is that your guitars/studio photos don't end up showing in the browser. So it's really up to you. :P

Clancy

#12 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,738 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:19 PM

Nothing about nothing. You just seem so well versed in the inner workings of the server world. To which I applaud.

I deal with servers more hours per day than I'd care to talk about. Both Windows and Linux. I prefer Linux in the server world. But I'm caught right smack dab in the middle of a Novell eDirectory on Suse Linux server in an XP environment installation. My gawd, who in the world thought of this?

:huh:

I feel a beer coming on.

Les

Respect The Music
I'll saddle up my pony so I wont be so lonely, at least I know his heart is true

#13 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:57 PM

lcjones said:

Nothing about nothing. You just seem so well versed in the inner workings of the server world. To which I applaud.

I deal with servers more hours per day than I'd care to talk about. Both Windows and Linux. I prefer Linux in the server world. But I'm caught right smack dab in the middle of a Novell eDirectory on Suse Linux server in an XP environment installation. My gawd, who in the world thought of this?

:huh:

I feel a beer coming on.

Les

Ah... ok... you had me a little worried there Les. Thought you were going to point out some glaring mistake I was making. :unsure:

You shouldn't have let me know that you're an expert in the server world.. I have lots of questions... and now I know just who to ask. :D

Clancy

#14 OFFLINE   si16

• Moderators

• 6,096 posts
  • Joined 07-November 05

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:02 PM

Why do you think he didn't tell you.

#15 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:10 PM

si16 said:

Why do you think he didn't tell you.
burst

#16 OFFLINE   737blues

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:18 AM

lcjones said:

les

I like Penguins, mmmmm ........ especially with ketchup. :yes: :isaynothing:

#17 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,738 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:24 AM

Clancy said:

Ah... ok... you had me a little worried there Les. Thought you were going to point out some glaring mistake I was making. :unsure:

You shouldn't have let me know that you're an expert in the server world.. I have lots of questions... and now I know just who to ask. :D

Clancy

Well, I don't know about being an expert but sure, if a question comes up, I'll try and answer. ;)
My favorite command line is ,, kill -9 followed by a quick rm -Rf / hehe.... ( don't try this at home folks :oop: )

Respect The Music

#18 OFFLINE   tcliff

• Active Members
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 16-December 05

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

lcjones said:

...My favorite command line is ,, kill -9 followed by a quick rm -Rf / hehe.... ( don't try this at home folks :oop: )

Mine too! But only after doing a "who -u", wouldn't want to kick the company pres out of the system...lol :oops:
Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right. (Henry Ford)

#19 OFFLINE   737blues

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:04 PM

Got me curious now guys. Understand the kill all processes, the precursive removal of all folders and the (very wise) query to see who is logged in before you do it, but I don't get the -9 ..... all users?

#20 OFFLINE   tcliff

• Active Members
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 16-December 05

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:37 PM

Just one of those quirky (read geeky) unix/linux commands. I've always swore they made the unix system as "geeky" as possible...just because they could.
Really, I'm not much of an expert on the subject. I was briefly in charge of maintaining a unix based enterprise system for a small manufacturing firm a few years ago.

The -9 will ensure "execution".

To use the strongest form of the kill command: kill -9 pid

You have to love that.....basically, it is used to kill a particular process that's running by using it's process id number. But, you have to love the "strongest form" bit........LOL, I guess it is to kill with a vengeance!
Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right. (Henry Ford)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users