- - - - -

Rack or Pedal Board

20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hey all, I'm exploring more into the world of effects and up until now I only have a boss distortion effects pedal. But I'm looking to expand. But before I go spending money, I've been debating on whether or not if I should go into getting a pedalboard with different effects. Or if i should go with a rack unit with my effects. My intentions are to play live and practice with friends. So for portability and ease of setup im thinking more pedal board. However the rack units i see offer an ease of progamming ability with nice presets. So I'm stuck on which way to go and I'm just looking for a little guidance.
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

#2 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

Why not get a multifx like the RP1000? If you get a rack unit then you need to get a midi floorboard and learn to program both the midi board and the rack fx.

#3 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:28 PM

I like the RP1000. Just looked at it online. Do you use this yourself fly? if so, how do you like it?
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

#4 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

Either/or is OK
It really depends on what you want to do with it, and if you think those needs will change long-term.
If you do go with something that has presets, make sure you can edit them. They might be OK to start with, but can be a little unbearable after a while.

#5 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:57 AM

Ok so lets say I go with a Rackfx setup. What basics would I need? For example, I hear alot about power amps, pre amps. I'm totally noob to that sort of thing because up until now I have been plugging straight into my amps using the effects built in. What would a noob need to know about setting up an Rack fx rig?
Jimi Hendrix

#6 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

I don't have the RP1000. I have a Digitech GNX4 and a Boss ME-25. But the RP1000 is getting some pretty high marks from those who have it. My friend and guitar mentor picked one up but sent it back in favor of the Line 6 HD500. He really liked the RP1000 but his complaints were ergonomic as he plays live and has certain needs. For example, he needs to change preset banks at a lull in the song and then make the preset change at the end of the song. But the RP1000 timed out the bank switch if you didn;t make the preset change soon enough. Another thing he didn't like was the location of the tap tempo switch and the lack of ability to make multiple assignments to the expression pedal.

He is highly skilled at configuring a multifx (he currently uses a GT-10 with a GSP1101 in the loop). So his demands on a multifx setup is probably higher than most other people.

#7 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

so I'm still a little stuck. I'd like to go with a rack system. what should i do or how do I setup a rack system?
Jimi Hendrix

#8 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:21 AM

What sounds do you really need, and where are you going to use it?

#9 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

Well I really need distortion/overdrive, chorus, delay and wammy. and I plan on playing a mix of venues from gymnasiums, to small concert halls. mostly playing jazz, blues, hard rock, and some metal ballads

Edited by Sweetpicker, 04 January 2011 - 01:23 PM.

Jimi Hendrix

#10 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

and again I'm a total novice to this. I'm used to plugging straight into my amp with one or two effects in a chain. I've read about power amps and preamps and limiters. and I really want to get a rack. I like the look and plan on making a career as a musician so I know that a rack system would be a good investment. but i just don't know where to start. please take babysteps with me
Jimi Hendrix

#11 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

You don't need to have a power amp in the rack. You can run your multifx into the PA. Or you can run it into a regular guitar amp. A multifx is a preamp. But they do make power amps that are rack mount. The AxeFX is considered a top of the line rack mount multifx. But multifx don't retain their value as they are continually obsoleted with newer models. So buying one now for the future isn't really an investment. If you want to get started for less than an AxeFX, the GSP1101 is a good unit. You will need some kind of midi floorboard controller to run it. Behringer makes the FCB1010 midi floorboard that can be had for around $100.

You can also use separate pedals mounted on a shelf in your rack and use a midi controlled switching system to switch pedals in and out. And there are tube preamps that mount in a rack.

If you've never used a multifx I would look for a good deal on a used quality unit like the RP1000, get the hang of it, and then later you can sell it without losing much money when you are ready to go to the next level.

Edited by fly135, 04 January 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

ok got it. I used to have a Zoom505II Multieffects pedal. I wish i still had it but i really wasnt able to tweak the effects. I do like the idea of the GSP1101 and the midi floorboard. I'm not afraid of the learning curve. But I think your right fly I may need to start small and work my way up to something bigger.
Jimi Hendrix

#13 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

I used to have a Zoom 707II and I don't think you have to worry about not having kept the 505II. There are a lot of better units for not much money.

It's a good thing you aren't worried about a learning curve because tweaking your FX unit (and programming midi controllers) is a job.

#14 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

hey fly what do you think of this http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMG92TT
Jimi Hendrix

#15 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

I used to have one. Bought it off Craigslist for $175 and sold it 6-9 months later for the same price. I liked it. One thing I didn't care for was not a biggie. Even though it has USB (for audio recording) you still needed to use MIDI for the software preset editor. Most companies use the USB for both.

The two tubes are on a global settings. Which means that dialing in the tube tone cannot be saved on a preset basis. The tubes only contributed to a small tonal change. So the fact that it has tubes is not a big deal. The FX section was good and the pitch tracking on the harmonizer/whammy tracks well. It has a loop, which allows you configure with an amp using 4CM or put stompboxes in it's loop. But IIRC the position of the loop in the FX chain had a limited configuration.

You could do worse than getting the G9.2TT. The reason I sold it was because my favorite multifx is the now obsolete GNX4. Not so much because the tone is better. It's actually difficult to dial in tones. I even paid $115 for the MFX Supermodels for it. But because the features are extensive. Multiple assignments to control switches/pedal, a complete assortment of FX, a midi drum machine, mic input, complete signal routing, and the thing that I like the best.. an on board 8 track recorder/looper with 2gig of storage.

I recently picked up a used Boss ME-25 for $125. I really love it because of it's simplicity and that it has the freeze effect and 38 sec looper. Though it's not a pedal that most people would consider for a band situation. Not enough footswitches to have individual control over FX.

#16 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

I see...I think at this point i just need to just buy one and stop worrying about it. I need to get the feel of having one and using it. I don't feel like dealing with tubes so I'll try the RP1000 or Boss ME. If i get my bonus check this week i may even get a Boss GT10 :thumbup1:
Jimi Hendrix

#17 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

One word on the GT-10. While the FX and functionality of the GT-10 is excellent, the amp sims and distortion tones are not highly regarded. I had a GT-8 and it was the same with fizzy amp models. The GT series is pretty old now, so it appears that they made a lot of improvements in amp/distortion tones by the time the ME-25 came out.

My friend who I mentioned above used the GT-10 for FX and midi control over teh GSP1101. He used the GSP1101 for amp modeling and distortion. He recently sold his GT-10 and is getting the Line 6 HD500.

#18 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

Hmm..my main concern is the chorus, delay and reverb effects. Do you have any experience with that on any of the models we've talked about so far? whats your take on them?
Jimi Hendrix

#19 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Those FX on the GT-10 should be fine. The RP1000 is a solid unit and the people who have it are giving it good marks.

The HD series from Line 6 is brand new, so not a lot of critiques on them yet. But the HD series is designed to give you flexibility in configuring multiple FX in a chain. Whereas a typical unit will give you 1 mod, 1 delay, 1 reverb, 1 distortion, etc... the HD allows you multiples of those up to it's processing limit. Line 6 also makes a series called the M9 and M13. These unit are designed as multiple configurable stomp boxes, which is a little different than a multifx based on amp modeling.

#20 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

ok good enough for me to ponder on. Thanks Fly!
Jimi Hendrix

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users