Recording noob

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   macandrita

• Active Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:13 AM

G'day everyone,
Ok let me see if I am reading this right. I have been looking at ezdrummer and I understand it is a plugin and not a stand alone program. It requires a recording program to sit with. So I had a look around and found the free download of Audacity. Got the mp3's from the collabarations to load after I managed to get them to download as a .mp3 instead of a .php file. Got my usb guitar hero mic to work with it and managed to make a recording of sorts. Read all the tutorials ect and FAQ's to find that Audacity doesn't do ezdrummer. Ordered a guitar to usb connection to clean up the guitar sound,live acoustic through a toy mic? Not pretty. Ordered a capo so I can get the sheet music I follow to match the key the pianola rolls are in and to better match my limited vocal range and a tuner as the guitar doesn't have one built in. So why am I doing all this? I get more motivated playing with a drum kit and bass ect kicking along. I was into amateur musical theater in a former relationship and got right into staging, sound, lighting design and stage management. So laying down sounds isn't foreign to me. Getting suitable programs for my home computer without spending a fortune to do ?similar is the challenge. So initially I will try out the freebies to see what eventuates. What programs work with ezdrummer that fit this criteria or what drumming programs work with Audacity either as plugin or stand alone? Thanks,
Mac

#2 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:58 AM

I have Tracktion 3 ($25) and it works with ezDrummer. I haven't used it enough to make a good review.

http://pro-audio.mus...ndle?sku=701816

#3 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,732 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:21 PM

I believe REAPER(free -with an option to purchase... not shareware but full blown and won't stop working) will import the ezdrummer VSTi. But don't be fooled by the ezdrum name. Programming drum tracks is arduous and takes a while. To get you started you might google for some free drum samples (loops) and loop them in Audacity... or Reaper. Loops will get you going fast. With exdrummer, you'll be programming each hit of the stick and kick.

LC

Respect The Music
I'll saddle up my pony so I wont be so lonely, at least I know his heart is true

#4 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:32 AM

LC right about EZdrummer. You kind of need to know a little something about drumming to be effective. I used You Tube extensively to watch drummers where available perform their version on some of my favorite tunes. To date I still rely on loops with some addins to get the job done.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#5 OFFLINE   macandrita

• Active Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:54 AM

Thanks guys. This is all making good sense and I'll start exploring soon. Hoping the Big Fella in the Red suit is going to drop off a keyboard in the next fortnight or so. Am I correct in saying the keyboard can be used through Ezdrummer to manually play and store after assigning keys to parts of the kit? Probably thinking Casio CTK 4000 or Yamaha. Any thoughs
Mac

#6 OFFLINE   Lcjones

• Active Members

• 2,732 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

You'll need midi capabitiy or USB/FireWire from the keyboard to your DAW, And I would say, most likey any modern day digital keyboard would have as many drum samples you can imagine. Would'nt even need exdrummer. But then, learning to program drum beats is not a bad thing. Just takes a lot of time, a keen sense of rhythm and persistence to git-r-right. What you don't want is your drum tracks sounding like they were made on a keyboard. You want them to be live and vibrant on your tracks. You want your drum tracks to sound like acoustic drums. Unless of course you are into electronica. :)

LC

Respect The Music
I'll saddle up my pony so I wont be so lonely, at least I know his heart is true

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users