- - - - -

Random Songs from the Random Robot Library

42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

"make him think twice about his relative size to me " I love it ! good job.

Johnny
Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit . Mostly I just sit ..... I think

#22 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

View PostRandom Robot, on 25 January 2011 - 12:22 AM, said:

Let me know about this one. It needs mixed and cleaned up a bit but it's getting close. It's called "Cannibal"Attachment cannibalbounce1.23.11.mp3

:winkthumb: like it ......look forward to hearing how you get on with it :thumbup1:

Paul.............

#23 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

here's a version with the guitars cleaned up a bit and lots of harmonies, maybe too many.
Exotic is just people talk for awesome...which you are!

#24 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

I think the volume of the mic can be turned up a bit. I can hardly hear what is being sung

#25 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

Thanks.

I'll still need to work on the vocals overall so I'll tweak the volume a bit when I redo them.

#26 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

Listened to the new mix in the car and you're right the vocals are way low. In the mix headphones and in my monitors they sounded really loud so I turned them down a bit so I guess I'll go back to the previous levels. I do think that shorting up the acoustic guitar on the verses really helped a lot in cleaning up some of the timing. I think I can still try to get the bass and electric guitar locked in time a little bit better with out too much trouble. I'm still learning my system and taking notes on what's working and what's giving me fits so each new song should get easier and better. I'm learning a lot on this one on how to record by myself. When I've recorded with a band everyone just plays their parts at the same time and it stays pretty tight. I'm trying to figure out which parts to record in what order. The hardest part for me is to get everything in time. I recorded the guitar first to a click track but my timing still swayed a little bit which isn't that big of a deal to me. Then when I played the drum I left the click when I should have just used it for a count off and then played with the guitar. I played the drums closer to the click instead and that's where I started having all this issuse of trying to get everything locked in. You live you learn. Overall, I think I can salvage it into a good mix and not have to go back and record anything else excecpt the lead vocals. I think all my other issuse can be fixed thru editing.

#27 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

I know a lead to a band...actual there are only two band members in it and they record their own albums and they hire other instrument players when they need them for a song. The lead used to be an actor to a TV show I forgot which. He is a really good guitar player and they are really good at recording. I think what they do is record each instrument separately (they play them...I guess they just rent them from somewhere) and then throw them together. I'm not sure on the technical details but my opinion if you donor like that even if the others are digitally created it would come out in time better...

#28 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

yeah, I'm learning my way around this timing issue. I think I have pretty good time just not perfect like a click track. As I added parts and simplified them down the it got more imprtant that the time be dead on. The acoustic version had a lot more rhythm stuff going on but it was only the one instrument. If recording the drums wasn't such a pain with having to copy to an external drive, load up the session over at my dad's, record the drums, take it back to my house and import the data, I'd probably just start over now that I kind of know what the parts are sounding like.

#29 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

updated mix of Cannibal- Pretty much redid everything. This should be good enough that I can move on to the next song in my library. I'll let you know when I get one ready.Attached File  Cannibal.mp3   3.1MB   13 downloads

#30 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

Hey, so this is where I've been for the last week or so. The vocals need work I know but I've been getting over a sore throat. I plan on adding harmonies once I feel like I can hold a note. I think the rest of the music sounds alright but might be a bit busy. Let me know what you think.

Attached Files

#31 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

I had to stop because in the midst of my enjoyment with this song I gotta right oh a new son idea unjust got!!!! Great playing by the way...might have to out this on my iPhone yep lol.

#32 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:52 PM

Thanks, I think. It's in it's early stages so I still need to mix and clean up some timing stuff plus the vocals and harmonies. I haven't done much to it yet other than some eq and verb on the scratch vocals. I do have a compressor on almost everything just to help with signal levels. The drums are all garageband so that makes it easier and cleaner than trying record them live. I've got close to 30 of these I've got to get done and out of the way so I can work on some other projects.

#33 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

Any advise on the mix levels? I think the rhodes could come up a little but everything pretty good levels wise. Let me know.
Talking about "Back to Bed"

#34 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

View PostBriandb1222, on 16 February 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

I had to stop because in the midst of my enjoyment with this song I gotta right oh a new son idea unjust got!!!! Great playing by the way...might have to out this on my iPhone yep lol.

Stupid iPhone...meant to say; I had to write a new song idea I just got...

As far as mix levels...maybe turn up the treble? I don't know much about mixing...the tone seems to be on the lower end of the scale...

#35 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

This one is "Diamond Mine". As always still needs mixed and the "keeper" vocals done but all the parts are there I think. It's a bit long but I can't think of anything that can be cut. Thanks for listening and I'll be posting something else real soon. Attached File  diamondmine3.2.11.mp3   4.61MB   16 downloads

#36 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,226 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

Good work, RR, I especially lime the last one. You've got some great arrangement ideas in that one. Keep it up, never stop. Posted Image

#37 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

View PostKirk Lorange, on 06 March 2011 - 10:28 PM, said:

Good work, RR, I especially lime the last one. You've got some great arrangement ideas in that one. Keep it up, never stop. Posted Image

Thanks Kirk, Means quite a bit having a professional chime in with a good word.

#38 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Hey RR :winkthumb: I really like "Back to bed"........thought maybe a different drum pattern would suit the song better tho :dunno: it's a great song :thumbup1:

"Diamondmine" is good stuff too :thumbup1: i'd say this is a better recording.....

and good job on the update of "Cannibal"

keep em coming :)

Paul...........

#39 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Paul, They seem to be getting better each time. I keep learning things to make it easier on me so the recording part is going faster and cleaner it's just writing the parts at this point that takes the most time. What's nice is I've got enough inputs to have each instrument have it's own so once I get the gain set for say the electric guitar, I just plug back into the same input each time and it's always set. Same for the acoustic, the rhodes, vocals or whatever. I've also found that if "arrange" the song in GarageBand 1st it's easier to play the guitar to those drums and have some better feel rather than try to do the guitar to a click. It might take me a couple of goes at getting all the parts set up right but it's such an easy fix. I can always go back and play live drums to these songs after the fact. I tried to do the guitars to a click with "Cannibal" the 1st time and it was a nightmare getting the timing worked out. I've got 2 more that are getting close. The 1st one should be up here sometime this week but the other one is going to be for a project I'm working on with a friend so it's got to be top secret until the whole album is done. Eventually I've got to have a good quiet couple of days to try to get all the "keeper" vocals done but for now just getting the melodies in there with a scratch is good enough to find harmonies.

#40 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:32 AM

I've been away for a bit, lots to do getting from winter to spring. A new one I'm working on for a side project.
"Revenge" (It's the sweetest thing)-
If I can get it to upload.....Attached File  revenge5.13.11.mp3   3.02MB   5 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users