- - - - -

Random Songs from the Random Robot Library

42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:40 AM

Thought I'd start a thread with lyrics from songs that I've written and need to record. Hopefully it will drive me to get them recorded for you listening pleasure.

Song Title: "Everything's Sound"

"Take it easy on me, I'm not who I seem to be", he said
And this front I've put on was just to make you believe
It wasn't sin when I was pressed against your mothers skin
But you found out when it all came to a crashing end

Chorus-
And he said it'd be good
To live in Heaven
But I wouldn't fit in

"How much longer will I mean everything to you", she said
And he tried to do his best to explain
"I'm going to miss you and it's going to hurt for a while"
Then he clutched her in his arms and they both just started crying

And he said it'd be good
To live in Heaven
But I wouldn't fit in

"Is it right that a love can die with a single lie", she said
And he told he wasn't sure if they both should even try
To keep it together for the betterment of a child
He feel to his knees as he tried to decide if it was worth his while

And he said it'd be good
To live in Heaven
But I wouldn't fit in

Let me know what you think, I've got the music and if I had a guitar in hand I could post the tab but I hope to get at least an acoustic version done this weekend.
Exotic is just people talk for awesome...which you are!

#2 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

like these lyrics ..... can't wait to hear it.

Johnny
Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit . Mostly I just sit ..... I think

#3 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

Oh the nightmare of trying to get ready to record. Just got new strings for the guitar to get started, hooked everything up and now the fan has gone out of the computer. Hopefully I can find one local and get started in the next day or so.

#4 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

I keep checking RR ! Still no recording? I'm really interested to see how you arrange this one !

Johnny
Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit . Mostly I just sit ..... I think

#5 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

OK, I was able to at least get a rhythm guitar and scratch vocals put together for you. I'm learning that my system wont handle a lot so it's just 1 guitar, 1 vocal, a little verb and eq. I'll have to get over to the studio to get the other parts put together.
i need to work on the phrasing just a bit but for something that's just thrown together, I'm OK with it.

#6 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:46 PM

except the file is too big so I'll to convert to something that's smaller. Sorry, I'll have to do better.

#7 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:53 PM

maybe this is it

Attached Files

#8 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

:guitardude: nice one :thumbup1:

#9 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

Good job RR !! I can hear this one with a big production behind it ! I like it.

Johnny

#10 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

Thank you.

#11 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,230 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

Hey! It was a long gestation, a difficult birth but here we have a lovely bouncing....song! You should be pleased with this - the guitar and vocal match the dark lyrics - nicely done, rr! Do you plan to do the big production number Johnny suggests? I think it would work well, but I also like the voice and guitar only because it sounds like it's a guy singing and playing as he's feeling it (not in a studio). I think both ways would work well. :thumbup:
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#12 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:34 AM

Thanks, I'll probably go medium on it. I was working on this on today...

#13 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,886 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:50 AM

View PostRandom Robot, on 15 December 2010 - 04:02 PM, said:

Oh the nightmare of trying to get ready to record. Just got new strings for the guitar to get started, hooked everything up and now the fan has gone out of the computer. Hopefully I can find one local and get started in the next day or so.

I agree with the nightmare thing. You practice a song over and over then about the time your ready to record, the hassle is sometimes overwhelming.

Tune came out very nice. Posted Image
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#14 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

hey RR ! Thought I posted after you put the music up but I guess I didn't .:dunno: i really like this song. You did a good job !

Johnny

#15 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

Okay I'm an idiot ! There are two songs here ! lol That explains it. Well I like em both ! Very Nice:winkthumb:

Johnny

#16 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

Eh, the second one needs help. The timing is really rough on that one with a click track. I think I'll try it again without playing to one and see how it goes. I've got another one called "Cannibal" that I just need to redo the sratch vocals and eq and verb up a bit but again my computer just doesn't handle plug-ins very well. I'm going to swap out the hard drives and put them into a Mac G5 this afternoon. I've been running on a G4 quicksilver with, I think, only 1 gig of ram. The G5 has somewhere around 4 gig so I should be able to run everything and actually do some production on this stuff. My dad just upgraded to power Mac Pro G5 and Protools HD9 so I get the hand me downs. I'll try to get it uploaded tonight sometime.

#17 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

Nice job on both!

#18 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:22 AM

Let me know about this one. It needs mixed and cleaned up a bit but it's getting close. It's called "Cannibal"

#19 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:59 AM

Just like you said it needs to be cleaned up...and maybe add some distortion to the guitar? And maybe some reverb to the vocals?

#20 OFFLINE   Random Robot

• Active Members
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 19-August 06

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

yep, listening to it today in the car I can hear some things that need to be addressed. The verses are pretty much just an A to E. I think if I let the acoustic play the little melody part on the A chord then just take it out or let it ring on the E instead of adding that extra rhythm on the 2 and 4 it should help clean it up a bit. I also think that the drums need to be straightend up in a couple of spots to bring the timing all together. I making myself do some harmonies and those can be immproved as well. Finding them isn't too tough but finding room to add them is. I've been listening to a lot of Ben Folds lately (I'm going to see him tomorrow) and he has them everywhere all the time so it's giving me some ideas of how to add them to a song. I think the bass is pretty good for my first shot at it. I tried to make it as simple as I could to stay out of the way of everything else going on. I read somewhere that when Noel Gallagher joined Oasis he told the bass player to play root notes only and for the rhythm guitar player to only play barre chords. If it's good enough for Oasis, it's good enough for me in my basement. There is an electric guitar part that's going on at over the E chord of the verses that I'm going to chunk up a bit with Ampfarm when I get everything ready to take back over to my dad's studio that has a lot more plug-ins and mastering software. That's where I'll add the reverb, delay and compression. I still need to eq and pan for space and hopefully that will get everything pretty close to where I want it. Hopefully one more week on this and I should be ready to start on the next one. Sometimes (all the time) I get in too big of a hurry to get stuff done and have to go back more times than I should to fix little things. I'm still feeling my way thru recording and mixing. Songwriting is a lot easier for me but this is something I have to make myself do and since I've got access to the equipment I need to take advantage of it. Thanks for giving it a listen and for honest feedback. Fresh ears are a good thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users