eddiez152

Saving to clipboard

If a person wants to save a particular post from a thread it looks like it saves it to a clipboard. How do you find this clipboard that you saved it to?

G'day Eddie,

Let's start the ball rolling.

If you have a Windows computer, and you're running XP there are a few paths to the Windows clipboard. Easiest is to hit the START button, then hit RUN, then type (this is where it gets fuzzy) something like "clipbrd" or maybe "clipboard" or possibly "clipbrd.exe". One of these should display what's on the clipboard.

The address of the command is actually c:\windows\system32\clipbrd (or however it's spelled on your particular version.) The clipboard isn't the normal sort of folder you'd expect to fine in My Documents.

If it seems a bit airy fairy, that's because the programmers make little changes from version to version, service pack to service pack, and it makes it a game of hide and seek for the mortals.

My usual disclaimer ... if you have a Mac then I don't have a clue, and if the above instructions don't work, then again I don't have a clue.

Hi Eddie,

One way to do it is to select (highlight) the text that you want to save, right click on it, and click Copy.

Next open your word processor, Microsoft Word or whatever you have on your PC, right click anywhere in the new window and click Paste.

Give it a name and save.

Not sure that this answers your question, but I hope it helps.

If you still need to find the clipboard, check this out;

http://www.andyrathbone.com/2009/08/24/wheres-the-clipboard-viewer-in-windows-xp/

Geoff

Don't know if you're asking something more complicated than what Nowhere-man (Hi Geof, where've you been?) says, but it works like that for Mac too - select the text, right click and 'copy' (or from the drop-down Edit menu), and then right click/paste it into Word, or TextEdit, or whatever you use on your mac. Or, do you really want to see what's being kept on your clipboard? In which case I haven't got a clue.

On the old forum there were Thread Tools which allowed you to have a Print version of a whole thread you could save, but this new one doesn't have that any more.

I could be wrong but I thought saving to clipboard was just a temporary save before it got saved to somewhere else, something the average user doesn't even need to realize?

If you want to save it other than just text as Geoff suggest then you

can press [control] and [print screen] at the same time and then paste it into "word document"

Boy theres some good response. Here is what I am trying to do. I want all these posts form #1 thru #7 all saved as favorites to review or pass on later.

And now I understand that you copy and paste to the clipboard on your own computer and not in your profile's info. I though there was a separate clipboard in our profile section.

Example : At the right top of each post there is a number. When to click on that number there is pop-up that shows the info. about the post. Looks like I need to copy that link to my own clipboard. on my own computer.

Duh! I get it. Everybody laughing yet? I am !

eddie

I could be wrong but I thought saving to clipboard was just a temporary save before it got saved to somewhere else, something the average user doesn't even need to realize?

You're absolutely correct on both counts. But sometimes things actually get saved on the clipboard, they can be there for years. Most users never even look. If you're curious, as I thought Eddie might be, then it's available to anyone to have a look.

You'll notice also that some applications actually ask if we want to save the items which have been placed on the clipboard during the copy/paste operation. Generally we say no.

As before, no idea about Macs.

Edit. I think it's been changed even more in XP SP3. Can't see it on my other box.

Edited by karcey

If you go around clicking on random numbers you can expect to get confused, it would have confused me anyway. So I clicked on a post's number and got a drop down menu - didn't expect that. I copy/pasted the address in the box dispayed into Word and it gave me the correct live link to the post accessible from my word doc.

If there's a Thread I want to have my own link to, I just copy/paste the url into Word (or bookmark it) and then. clicking on the address in your Word doc takes you directly to the relevant thread.

You could also just save the links in your favorites, maybe in a Carol's Favorite Posts folder.

Sorry to disappoint you 6 - there's no such beast - how could I possibly choose between all these gems?

And one last bit of clarification for any XP users who can't find their clipboard viewer. It'll be in the i386 folder. You can copy and paste it to the system32 folder so you can have a look any time you like.