martin

24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Aunkster

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 07-August 07

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

been saving along time and now have enough jar money to purchase my first Martin..I was looking at the d-16 acoustic / electric .
Just looking for your thoughts on the martins in that price range ..

Thanks

Allan

#2 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

Hey Allan,

I would try the Martin 1-Series DC-1E Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar. Kind of in your price range. Lot's of good reviews. Here's a link

http://www.guitarcen...083-i1445481.gc
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

#3 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

Congrats on the saving up, Aungster - are you able to go to a store and play a few Martins? I do think that is the best option if you can do that. If you can do that, you will know which one sounds the best, feels comfortable for you to play, and also you get to see what they look like in real life.

You might find there's a guitar there you even prefer to a Martin - or at least you will have a better chance of finding a guitar that you like - and that's what matters most. Guitars in that price range should all be ok, but it's the one that you pick out yourself which you will appreciate most over the years.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#4 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

Carol has a good point. Have you tried the D-16 out yet?
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix

#5 OFFLINE   Aunkster

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 07-August 07

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

I sat down with a Taylor and the Martin d16 I noticed right off that the d16 was not bolted together like the taylor.
The Martin also fit me better but that's nit to say there's a better one than the d16

#6 OFFLINE   Sweetpicker

• Active Members
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 03-November 10

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

So what is it about the D-16 that makes it your choice? Looks? Tone? Playability? Price?
Jimi Hendrix

#7 ONLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,056 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:46 PM

Its good that your looking into your next big investment. If it fits and sounds the way you want it then its the right guitar for you. But most of all play it and enjoy it. Posted Image
As for me I never chose a Martin only because their smaller fretboard at the nut. I feel comfortable with a 1 3/4" nut.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#8 OFFLINE   Aunkster

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 07-August 07

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

View PostSweetpicker, on 13 November 2010 - 09:21 PM, said:

So what is it about the D-16 that makes it your choice? Looks? Tone? Playability? Price?
price didnt play a roll because i could have saved enough to buy a 5000 dollar guitar ,looks always plays a part,i think reading alot about their craftsmanship and yes the tone was remarkable and it does fit will well in my lap ...it was just a question about the d-16 i guess,i wanted some peoples opinions because there are a couple different models in that price range made by Martin.

Allan

#9 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

If you live anywhere near Nazareth, Pa., you could go to the factory, see and play almost any stock guitar in the place. It's a great place to see in any case, with a factory tour and the museum. They don't sell directly, though, but would arrange for you to get a specific guitar through a dealer of your choice.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#10 OFFLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,066 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:45 PM

View PostGotDeeBlues, on 14 November 2010 - 09:36 AM, said:

see and play almost any stock guitar in the place.

Wow there's a full day.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you’ve heard this bull before.

#11 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,536 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:22 AM

View PostGotDeeBlues, on 14 November 2010 - 09:36 AM, said:

If you live anywhere near Nazareth, Pa., you could go to the factory, see and play almost any stock guitar in the place. It's a great place to see in any case, with a factory tour and the museum. They don't sell directly, though, but would arrange for you to get a specific guitar through a dealer of your choice.
That is one tourist tour I would love to do.
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#12 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:35 AM

The museum is everchanging, and never a disappointment. I have taken the tour 3 times. And once lucky enough to get on the actual cutting room floor by going with a Martin Rep and a friend who was at that time a Martin dealer. I was also taken in to see the secured area of rare specialty woods, an R&D area with work on various composits and laminating processes only visible on the tour from an overlook. They even have a totally soundproof room for testers with perfect pitch to test high end commisioned guitars. Their web site may still have a video tour to see, I haven't checked it lately.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
..Nietzsche

#13 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,536 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

Is the Martin Nazareth and The Bands ,The Weight Nazareth the same place ?

#14 OFFLINE   Aunkster

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 07-August 07

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

yes ,i just heard the info on that song about a week ago

#15 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

You know, I love the town, love the factory, and have always loved that song, and never put it together.....DUH!
..Nietzsche

#16 OFFLINE   GotDeeBlues

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,797 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

I went looking and found 3 limited 360 deg views on the Martin site, but YouTube has the original video tour. Just search Martin Factory Tour on that site.
..Nietzsche

#17 OFFLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,066 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

Does a part of it smell like fresh cut lumber? love that smell

#18 OFFLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,066 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

View PostGotDeeBlues, on 15 November 2010 - 04:03 PM, said:

You know, I love the town, love the factory, and have always loved that song, and never put it together.....DUH!

I thought of it, (not right away but eventually) I figured that's why they rolled into Town in the first place, to go look at/get some guitars.

#19 OFFLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,066 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

Coast is clear again,

#20 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,536 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

View Post6string, on 15 November 2010 - 04:26 PM, said:

I thought of it, (not right away but eventually) I figured that's why they rolled into Town in the first place, to go look at/get some guitars.

Even had a personalised model built for them while they were there RR Martin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users