carol m

Is this repaired guitar still ok?

randy d    6

Well done - I'm hoping that it turns out to be a great purchase for you

I don't understand the problems you had with the Seagull though - I own 2 of them and I think they

are great - maybe you just got a bad one?

carol m    64

Randy: yes I think I must have got a dud, I was expecting it to be good, with cedar top and a wider nut but the intonation is really bad - the B string is horrible and a couple of others are off too. I can't even get away with under-tuning it a bit at the nut to compensate for all the other frets but it's off too much to camouflage. I talked to a techy guy who said it would cost as much as the guitar cost me to get the frets redone. I'll take it in for him to have a look one day but he sounded really pessimistic.

This new one should arrive in about middle of next week - lets hope it doesn't collect another ding on the way - there isn't a case for it but I pleaded with him to wrap it up well. I have another Tanglewood which is ok but not brilliant, and now it's pick-up needs fixing - I'll sell whichever of them is least good... probably. :)

Note to anyone who's interested: never play lefty unless you absolutely have to - finding a good guitar is almost impossible - in Aus anyway.

carol m    64

Sound sample of the new guitar: Tanglewood TW145ASC-LH - just a few slow strums and some random notes - my first touch - recorded with a mic at 12th fret and a small amount of reverb. Solid cedar top, and the old strings it came with. It has a smaller body than my other guitars, except the classical.

PJ Try Out 9.11.10.mp3

randy d    6

Sound sample of the new guitar: Tanglewood TW145ASC-LH - just a few slow strums and some random notes - my first touch - recorded with a mic at 12th fret and a small amount of reverb. Solid cedar top, and the old strings it came with. It has a smaller body than my other guitars, except the classical.

PJ Try Out 9.11.10.mp3

sounds clear and warm - nice sound - good buy - congrats

carol m    64

My guitar's ebay seller said he didn't have a case to send it in via the mail, but when it arrived it was in this wonderfully beat up old case that looks like it's already done a few thousand mile road trips. A nice surprise and free bonus. He said he'd 'found' a case for it to keep it safe. I now have instant street cred as well as a new second hand guitar.

post-2939-084285200 1290254941_thumb.jpg post-2939-003981200 1290254968_thumb.jpg

6string    81

My guitar's ebay seller said he didn't have a case to send it in via the mail, but when it arrived it was in this wonderfully beat up old case that looks like it's already done a few thousand mile road trips. A nice surprise and free bonus. He said he'd 'found' a case for it to keep it safe. I now have instant street cred as well as a new second hand guitar.

post-2939-084285200 1290254941_thumb.jpg post-2939-003981200 1290254968_thumb.jpg

Excellent,...............even though it's a right handed case :tomato:

karcey    42

The only way to go, as far as I can see is not to bid at all until the last minute (2 minutes max) and bid as late and as high as you feel you could afford to go.

I've been mulling over this idea of yours, and I decided to test it. There was a guitar for auction this week and I decided to have a go at it. I made a bid for the maximum I was prepared to pay. Not willing to go one dollar more. A few bidders played along with little bids here and there, obviously scared to bid big, and probably secretly not wanting anyone to know how interested they were. Every time they bid, they got the "outbid" message, but of course they had no idea how big my bid was.

Eight seconds before the end a new bidder came in with a larger bid than mine and got the guitar. I wasn't disappointed because I really don't need another; that's why I didn't bid stupidly high.

I think this demonstrates a few points.

1. Whether you bid in the first minute or the last, you need only bid once and you should always bid your maximum.

2. There is always someone unknown out there who is going to bid in the last few seconds. He expects others to bid in the last few seconds too. He will obviously bid his maximum. That shouldn't influence the price you're prepared to pay, should it?

3. People who believe they can keep the price down by pretending they're not interested are dreaming.

A secret (eBay)auction isn't really an auction at all. It's an ongoing tender process. Those who win are those who are prepared to pay more. And if someone ever bids less than they're prepared to pay, then they're just spoiling their chances of getting what they want.

I have to think that all the goods I've won on eBay are mine because I bid the highest amount. If someone missed out because he didn't bid his highest amount, well ....

From now on I'll only ever bid once. They will email me if I win (or lose.)