carol m

Is this repaired guitar still ok?

There's an ebay guitar which has a repair on it - the guy says it's probably a ding and not serious and it doesn't affect the tone. If you zoom in and look really closely you can see the crack extends under the purfling even though he's said it doesn't.

Here's the link: guitar with repair

I'd only bid if it was seriously cheap at the end, but what do you think of this repair - does it rule it out?

Really hard to tell from the pics, but I wouldn't be too worried as long as the price was right. Looks like a nice guitar and if the repair turns out to be poorly done, you could have it redone. I'd guess that the whack it received caused the soundboard wood to compress and splinter at the edge and it looks like it was filled with some type of filler. That's probaby what I would have done too on an inexpensive guitar - wouldn't fix my Larrivee that way though. I wouldn't imagine that it would affect the sound.

Good luck Carol.

-Doug

Tanglewoods are a decent entry level guitar. New here would be 300 to 400 dollars Canadian, lefties probably more.. The repair looks minor and should not have an impact on the tone. If the price is right go for it.

G'day Carol,

When it's plugged in, the condition of the soundboard that far out isn't even in the equation. It's the pickup that you're hearing. Even when not plugged in, the sensitivity of the soundboard that close to the edge is zero. Test this for yourself. Tap on the soundboard near the bridge on one of your guitars. Continue to tap all the way out to the edge in any direction and see how the sound changes until at the edge it's just solid with no resonance at all.

So I reckon the thing will play just the same as if it had no damage. Can't tell if you'd like the tone though!

Cosmetically it looks a shame. Maybe the photo exaggerates the problem. Maybe.

Last point is the money. I'd guess you're going to need a lot to take this one home. With postage I'd say you'll need $500 or better. But you never know, you might be lucky. Have a crack at it and we'll cheer from the sidelines.

Thanks for the info, friends and helpers! I'll only go to about $300 for the guitar....probably. It retails here for $999 - guitars here are about double what they are in the States. The problem, always, is the scarcity of left handers - it's not possible to go to a store and find more than one, if that, and they are usually for guitars in the $300-400 bracket. I already bought a cheapie Seagull on ebay and the intonation is so bad I'll either give it away or resell it on ebay (if my conscience will allow it).

Sometimes I wonder if it's not easier to buy one that really fits what I want (woods, neck-width etc) online from the States - the problem with that is that it would be even more of an investment in a guitar I haven't played before buying it. It seems to be easier to take punts on reasonable second hand guitars going cheap in the hope I get lucky.

Now I think about it, that's not a bad idea......maybe wait for the Aussie dollar to go back to near parity........aahh :helpsmili:stuart::escape:

I remember back in the seventies they were available. I see that they still are and referred to as Black and Silver.

I find it a little hard to believe that that guitar still plays well. But I do believe that the one you have picked is probably OK. Just don't over pay for it.

It has been listed before and went for $350 after 27 bids (why are people so dumb to push the price up for no reason???) but the buyer must have not paid up or something. My max would be about $350 - you have to pay that (or more) for even the lowest entry level guitar over here.

I'm going to have to thin the herd at this rate, either that or start hanging them on the walls. I have 2 that I don't need at all, but having some lefty and some righty makes for a crowd. I haven't bothered as yet in reading up on how to sell on ebay. And then there's the Resonator.............:)

What I'd really like is a lefty acoustic/electric, cedar top, rosewood back and sides and a 2 inch nut, but I'd probably need to get it custom made - it would cost a fortune and I'd have to buy it without playing it first - in other words, it's not going to happen unless one magically materialises on ebay.

And also.....the difference from my current guitar would probably be hard to pick anyway - improving my playing would give me a better sound than any upgrade could ever do.

Carol, Snap out of it! You're starting to talk yourself out of even trying! The money you waste on booze and cigarettes would pay for that guitar in about a month and a half. So where's the problem? Give it a go. It'll never be the worst purchase you've ever made. And the thought of owning a guitar that normally costs a grand is motivation in itself.

I would have seen more money in that guitar than you say. If she didn't have a scar on her middle I would suggest $700 is a more realistic figure. Reminds me of a girl I used to know. She had a scar, but it didn't make her any less attractive.

Carol, Snap out of it! You're starting to talk yourself out of even trying!

Not at all Karcey - just practising some Tantric/budhist Detatchment - cool and calm... and timing your killer blow - I think that's how it goes.. :laughingg:

Thank God you're under control. I thought for a minute you'd given up on GAS.

Obviously you know more about this bidding thing than I do. I just think of a number, make a bid, and wait to see what happens. No stress, but also no technique. I'm interested to see how you go.

The only way to go, as far as I can see is not to bid at all until the last minute (2 minutes max) and bid as late and as high as you feel you could afford to go. Any bids at all before the last minute achieve nothing except bumping the price up for no good reason - silly in my view (I'm being generous). Bids before the last minute might put you in the lead for 5 minutes but before you can say %$#@ (bother) another idiot bumps the price up again and all that's been achieved is to make the item more expensive.

Some people make 8 or more bids well before where it counts and in my view should be exterminated :) - this is from a buyers point of view of course. If you are a seller, you should be getting your friends to keep bidding to increase the sale price - it's not rocket science really - it's probably friends of the seller bidding it up anyway - nothing else makes any sense - although 'dummy bidding' is against the ebay 'rules', but how else would you explain it? Of course ebay tries to encourage you to keep bidding because they are definitely on the side of the seller - if they have no sellers, they have no ebay - and I think they get a cut of the final price as well.

Carol

The repair is crappy, but the ding itself doesn't look too bad.

I'd want to see how straight the neck is, and know if the electrics work.....not to mention how it feels to you!

To me the golden rule is "Play with it, before you pay for it".

I don't mean to sound like a doomsayer Carol, but I don't think Ebay and second hand guitars, favour the buyer.

Ebays rates are Here. Pretty cheap.

No worries Skinny! Let it rip - and I agree, but there aren't enough left handers around to follow what I'd consider the no 1 essential rule for buying a guitar - play before you buy.

I've only ever seen 2 (and in one shop) that weren't $400 entry level guitars - and I bought the best of the two - which is an ok guitar, but the one here on ebay would be an upgrade from that one, as long as it plays ok. If I get it and it's not any better, I'll resell it for about what I pay for it so it's not really a major risk.

Really? I didn't think I ran to peripherals - I may have to take stock of my assets. And I did love Get Smart - a great show. Even Inspector Gadget had it's moments.

Are you serious? I watched it all the way, and I was saying it just hasn't come up to the money yet. A bit of a flurry at the end but not as serious as I would've expected.

I am so pleased for you.

Thanks Karcey - I bid on it last time when it was up for auction but got shut out in the last 10 secs, so this time I put my bid in with 30secs to spare - it went up $60 in the last 30 secs but it was still a good buy - they're $999 new so it's an ok deal. I might have been able to save $30 or so by bidding later, but I didn't want to get shut out again. Now I have to find room for it.

No matter how disinterested I am in the outcome of a bid, I cannot stop my blood pressure going sky high, and a pulse rate to match - ebay is a real health hazard - not a bad way to go maybe - bidding on a second hand guitar - it'd be different at least, and possibly in character. :laughingg: