Scotty's Melodic Soloing Part 3

3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,228 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:49 AM

"One really interesting sound is to play diatonic arpeggios (the arpeggios within the key; an arpeggio is merely the chord tones played one at a time) built from the chord tones over that harmony".

What a great idea! (I'm a slow learner). :)

Another great lesson Scotty, thanks.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#2 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:18 AM

Thank you Carol

#3 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,228 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:27 AM

On that sound sample, are you keeping the notes clean by muting with your picking fingers/thumb like Kirk does or palm muting (unlikely I thought).
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#4 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:30 AM

View Postcarol m, on 03 October 2010 - 02:27 AM, said:

On that sound sample, are you keeping the notes clean by muting with your picking fingers/thumb like Kirk does or palm muting (unlikely I thought).
Hi Carol
No I used a pick - a little Jim Dunlop Jazz 3 Ultex one to be precise. I rarely play single lines like that with my fingers alone.
For the most part I use the following approach:
Left hand - tip of index finger touching the tip of the adjacent string to stop it from playing. Inside of my index finger laying across all higher strings to mute them.
Right hand - palm comes into play to mute lower strings as I play on strings 4 and above.
And - like everything - I just practiced it a lot, and worked on having a lot of control over my technique.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users