coldethyl

Are You RH OR LH or Both?

Are You Right Handed, Left Handed Or Both?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are You Right Handed, Left Handed Or Both?

• Right Handed
    • Left Handed
    • Both

coldethyl    0

Just wanted to know because my son is left handed and the other day I checked out some of the guitar shops around the place and was surprised at the great lack of left handed guitars available. So I was curious to know if other left handers have had similar problems.

BTW, I'm RH but my son is, as I said, LH.:)

Neil

allthumbs    8

I have a couple of friends who are lefties. Yes it is a problem to find lefties. Best bet is ebay. Musicians Friend tells wether an axe can be had leftie if available. The good news is second hand lefties tend to sell for less because of the limited market. The bad news is new lefties tend to cost more for the same reason.

coldethyl    0
Many lefties play right handed. It sure makes it easier to try and buy instruments. I haven't seen many left handed pianos.

:lol:

Or Trombones come to that!

Neil

I am actually right handed but playing left handed. I play lefty out of necessity. My left wrist is fused and I couldn't make the chords so off I went into Lefty's world. The people here are right about going into a music shop and finding a left handed guitar to play. You may find 3 in a shop that has a few hundred guitars in it. Another thought is having to transpose the music backwards. mirror images of the chords for a righty.

I've been lucky to get a couple of very good guitars from a couple of music stores online. That being a crapshoot in itself. Believe me though, if I could I would play right handed. Another reason I bought a lap steel to occupy inbetween practice sessions with my electric and acoustic.

OldManDownTheRoad

The road is long so enjoy the trip

danthelion    0
Many lefties play right handed. It sure makes it easier to try and buy instruments. I haven't seen many left handed pianos.

Jimi Hendrix was right handed & played left handed, Mark Knopfler is left handed & plays right handed. (I know some will want to question this, but do some research & you will find it's true, I sourced this from a David Mead book & have also seen reference to it in other reputable books & docos)

Some have the theory that they did things the correct way as it makes more sense that your dominant hand does the more dexterous work on the fretboard.

I personally don't think it makes much of a difference as long as you play well & enjoy doing so. Interestingly Graham Russel (Air Supply - the deeper voiced one that plays guitar & writes the songs) is left handed & plays a right-handed-guitar left handed, in other words the strings are upside down. That would be a good party trick, get half way through a song, flip the guitar to the other side & carry on playing. :)

Donovan    0

Another rightie here :) Lefties seem to be quite outnumbered here. Even worse than in general.

I've got a leftie brother and he's been thinking about getting into guitar. That lefthanded thing is bothering him a bit though. Would you guys recommend him to start out playing righthanded?

USGold    0

slightly ambi-dexterous myself-play "normal" rh---lmao over a left handed piano though, is that like a left handed monkey wrench?

6string    81
Another rightie here :) I've got a leftie brother and he's been thinking about getting into guitar. That lefthanded thing is bothering him a bit though. Would you guys recommend him to start out playing righthanded?

I don't think it matters when your first starting out, it's all foreign in the beginning anyway

Misty2u    0

Yep, I'm a rightie too. I'm the odd one out in my family though as my hubby and both my daughters are left-handed.

I make up for it with two left feet though.LOL

Nicely put..!! :yes:

Donovan    0

Thanks Joe and 6string, I'm pretty sure he'll be better off trying righthanded then. I agree that practice and the muscle developed through practice means a lot more than what your dominant hand is, especially since the fretting hand is doing a lot of complex motions. Don't underestimate the importance of the picking hand though, an awkward hand will KILL your timing :helpsmili

And btw Dan, wasn't Jimi Hendrix lefthanded, but did he just play righthanded guitars (with the strings inverted of course)? I thought he liked doing it that way because the toggle switch (and whammy bar?) would be on top for easy access... :confused:

danthelion    0
And btw Dan, wasn't Jimi Hendrix lefthanded, but did he just play righthanded guitars (with the strings inverted of course)? I thought he liked doing it that way because the toggle switch (and whammy bar?) would be on top for easy access... :confused:

You're possibly right, unfortunately we can't ask Jimi himself. I read what I posted in a David Mead book & also saw it on a TV doco (about his life in general) some years ago interviewing some who knew him saying to the effect 'commonly thought by many he was left, but little known fact was right in everything else etc..'

In other words I am not claiming to be an authority on it, just relaying what I have come across. :)

madman360    0

lefty playing right handed.....i was really thinking about flipping my guitar strigns over and playing upside down but i guess i was meant to play right handed since when i held my guitar upisde down it was hard to use my right hand as my fingering hand

CanuckTodd    0

Interesting thread. I'm a leftie, but play right because that's the first guitar I picked up. I think I might have had an easier time when I started forming chords using my left hand, as my fingers felt pretty nimble. But the tradeoff is I find I'm having a much harder time getting picking timing and precision down with my right, particularly plucking single strings. For what it's worth, that's my excuse anyway!