Chord Tone Slow G7 Blues

13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:27 AM

This is my second attempt at improv - the first was complete guesswork, this was more or less planned, at least I did have specific notes in mind. It's all G7 over Kirk's G7 chord loop.

I had some problems with the recording because I played it on acoustic but then had to go with it plugged to make a recording, due to environmental noise (in the house) but found I had a dodgy pickup system on the guitar which I'll get fixed. I don't know if that's why some of the double stops sound distorted or not. I should have done it on electric, or with a mic, maybe next time.

I'm following Scotty's advice of keeping it simple, because that's all I can manage at the moment. After this comes C7 and after that.....maybe even D7.

Attached File  Chord Tone Slow G7 Blues1.mp3   3.13MB   124 downloads
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,027 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:37 AM

Why Carol m, you blues hound. Good go at it .Posted Image point the way to Kirks lesson.
eddie
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:29 AM

Great stuff Carol

#4 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

Good work Carol. Posted Image
"Hail Mary full of Grace..."

#5 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,245 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

Very cool, Carol ... that's the best practice you can do. It's hard to tell just by listening but I hope you're exploring the whole fretboard. Do that over the IV and V chords next and before you know it you'll be moving between each one effortlessly. Excellent.

Eddie ... that's from 'The Chord Tone Blues CD' that comes with the PlaneTalk Package. I'm sure you have it there somewhere.

#6 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

View PostKirk Lorange, on 25 September 2010 - 09:04 PM, said:

t's hard to tell just by listening but I hope you're exploring the whole fretboard.

It's hard to tell a lot of things from that audio, but yes, I was using the whole fretboard, at least, up to and including the 12th fret. It was interesting to me that you can make something out of only one chord. I lost the plot for a couple of bars in the middle and had to mark time.

I'm going to stick with the G7 for a while yet until it's really imprinted on my brain and fingers. I reckon if I have that totally locked in it'll be an easier step to move to the next chords without getting lost.

So I'll do a few more G7 experiments using a different recording system and/or guitar next. This was fun, if more than a bit hair-raising - for me, and the listener. :winkthumb:
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#7 OFFLINE   Doug

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,894 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:17 PM

hey Carol, That was really cool. You really warmed up there - sounded great.
"we don't see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anais Nin

#8 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,878 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:28 AM

Great vibe on this Carol, nice playing, got that whole smokey bar blues thing going on, Kudos to you, really enjoyed this :thumbup1: :claping:

Cheers

Chris
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#9 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:33 AM

Thanks people. I'll do better next time - I was actually amazed I could do it. I must have a good teacher. :winkthumb:

#10 OFFLINE   Juggle_r8

• Active Members

• 7 posts
  • Joined 04-September 10

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:30 AM

Good job Carol!

#11 OFFLINE   mynewguitar

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 23-October 09

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:30 AM

Nice, Carol!

I like the way you let the rhythm track come through while you accent the changes with your responses to what the other instruments are playing.

Thank you for posting it. I'll be keeping it in my iTunes and look forward to hearing future efforts.

- Chris

Edited by mynewguitar, 12 January 2011 - 07:33 AM.

In guitar,
Chris

#12 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

getting there carol. Congrats

#13 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

Thanks people - you've reminded me to practice this again and I hope I do better next time.

#14 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

Moderator | Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

Great work, Carol. I like your simple and patient approach to this, and how you begin by introducing just a simple note and it progressively gets a touch more complicated from there.

Start humming the notes you want to play in your head, and then transfer them to your hands. I mean, starting humming little melodies to yourself and translate those.
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.

View my lessons here at GfB&B

"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users