carol m

Chord Tone Slow G7 Blues

carol m    64

This is my second attempt at improv - the first was complete guesswork, this was more or less planned, at least I did have specific notes in mind. It's all G7 over Kirk's G7 chord loop.

I had some problems with the recording because I played it on acoustic but then had to go with it plugged to make a recording, due to environmental noise (in the house) but found I had a dodgy pickup system on the guitar which I'll get fixed. I don't know if that's why some of the double stops sound distorted or not. I should have done it on electric, or with a mic, maybe next time.

I'm following Scotty's advice of keeping it simple, because that's all I can manage at the moment. After this comes C7 and after that.....maybe even D7.

Chord Tone Slow G7 Blues1.mp3

Kirk Lorange    128

Very cool, Carol ... that's the best practice you can do. It's hard to tell just by listening but I hope you're exploring the whole fretboard. Do that over the IV and V chords next and before you know it you'll be moving between each one effortlessly. Excellent.

Eddie ... that's from 'The Chord Tone Blues CD' that comes with the PlaneTalk Package. I'm sure you have it there somewhere.

carol m    64

t's hard to tell just by listening but I hope you're exploring the whole fretboard.

It's hard to tell a lot of things from that audio, but yes, I was using the whole fretboard, at least, up to and including the 12th fret. It was interesting to me that you can make something out of only one chord. I lost the plot for a couple of bars in the middle and had to mark time.

I'm going to stick with the G7 for a while yet until it's really imprinted on my brain and fingers. I reckon if I have that totally locked in it'll be an easier step to move to the next chords without getting lost.

So I'll do a few more G7 experiments using a different recording system and/or guitar next. This was fun, if more than a bit hair-raising - for me, and the listener. :winkthumb:

mynewguitar    0

Nice, Carol!

I like the way you let the rhythm track come through while you accent the changes with your responses to what the other instruments are playing.

Thank you for posting it. I'll be keeping it in my iTunes and look forward to hearing future efforts.

- Chris

Edited by mynewguitar

solidwalnut    5

Great work, Carol. I like your simple and patient approach to this, and how you begin by introducing just a simple note and it progressively gets a touch more complicated from there.

Start humming the notes you want to play in your head, and then transfer them to your hands. I mean, starting humming little melodies to yourself and translate those.