- - - - -

Latency on the "Line In" port

1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chaotic Kittie

• Active Members
  • 804 posts
  • Joined 29-April 06

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

As I currently lack an amplifier, I've made do with plugging my guitar into the Line In port on my soundcard through my multi-FX... While it has never sounded great, it's been good enough to practice.

Now, however, I have purchased a new computer, but the Line In setup now has huge latency... I'm wondering if there is anything I can try to reduce this? Also I'm wondering whether this latency is due to the fact that my new computer lacks a separate sound card, so I'm using the built in soundcard on the motherboard.

I realize that this setup isn't ideal and that it'd be best to purchase an amp... but I currently can't afford to get one I'd like, so I'm stuck with this setup until I can.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

#2 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:37 AM

View PostChaotic Kittie, on 19 September 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

As I currently lack an amplifier, I've made do with plugging my guitar into the Line In port on my soundcard through my multi-FX... While it has never sounded great, it's been good enough to practice.

Now, however, I have purchased a new computer, but the Line In setup now has huge latency... I'm wondering if there is anything I can try to reduce this? Also I'm wondering whether this latency is due to the fact that my new computer lacks a separate sound card, so I'm using the built in soundcard on the motherboard.
It is very common to get high latency through on board sound cards. You can try using ASIO4ALL which simulates low latency ASIO drivers for standard computer sound cards and see if this helps.
http://www.asio4all.com/

I realize that this setup isn't ideal and that it'd be best to purchase an amp... but I currently can't afford to get one I'd like, so I'm stuck with this setup until I can.
Actually, I'm a huge fan of the guitar amp simulator Vandal and at about $220 (according to google currency converter) there's not an amp near that price range that could touch it IMO. Plus you still have to have a good mic, decent room acoustics, find the right mic placement, and all that to get good results recording a real amp.

I posted a clip of Vandal when I first got it, but there has since been an upgrade that's added some new stuff to it and I've also been able to spend more time with it. Here is another one I've been messing around with and all of the guitars and bass tracks were recorded with Vandal. Guitar/Bass plugged straight in to my M-Audio interface and the only "commercial" effect that I used was the compressor from my recording program (Samplitude) on the master channel... All other effects (on guitar and bass) were from Vandal or from free effect plugins.

So when you start looking at more options, Vandal is very nice for recording and I've been very happy with it. :)

-tkr
'Cause I don't wanna read the book, I'll watch the movie.

Tekker's Lessons on GfB&B: Music Theory, Recording, and General Guitar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users