johnmay

Bone or Tusq

johnmay    0

I am pretty sure that I have seen this discussed somewhere but I have been unable to find it . my understanding is that tusq is a dense plastic capable of adding as much and possibly more sustain than bone .any one know if this is true or where I might find out ? I am speaking of saddles but i wonder do they make bridge pins from Tusq also ? ok just convinced myself to go cyber surfing . any opinions welcome

Edited by johnmay

solidwalnut    5

I am pretty sure that I have seen this discussed somewhere but I have been unable to find it . my understanding is that tusq is a dense plastic capable of adding as much and possibly more sustain than bone .any one know if this is true or where I might find out ? I am speaking of saddles but i wonder do they make bridge pins from Tusq also ? ok just convinced myself to go cyber surfing . any opinions welcome

I just have one name for you, Bob Colosi.

Everything you ever wanted to know on the subject. He will even spend time on the phone with you if you'd like. I have a bone saddle and bridge pins, and yes, they do make a difference.

As far as tusq vs. bone, I think that bone resonates better (I've tried both), but it's still a subjective thing. Tusq provides a very clear and smooth sound, imo.

Steve

johnmay    0

thanks for all the info . I have purchased a bone blank but the more I look at this I am thinking it may already have a bone saddle in it .I just made the assumption that it was plastic but after examining it (still in and playing ) it looks as if it has been hand sanded and polished and shine unlike any plastic saddle I have seen .Also I think it sounds way too sweet to be plastic . I was playing with a cousin who plays a Taylor hes had for about 15 yrs. and although his has some subtle nuances that mine did not , I think it held up well in comparison in overall tone and sustain . considering he paid well over a grand for his used and I paid $106.00 including tax at a pawn shop.I will check much closer when I change strings but I am pretty sure this thing has been worked on by a competent luthier. Just why I ever turned my nose up at Yamahas in the past I will never know Just goes to show that it is best to ask questions, take all answers with a grain of salt and then make your own judgements .It doesn't have all the bells and whistles (inlays etc...) but for an inexpensive workhorse of a guitar I think I have found a hidden gem in this fg700.

Edited by johnmay