carol m

Too much resonance

carol m    64

I've been progressively lowering the bridge on my nylon classical guitar and the lowering I did today made it as low as it could possibly be. Now I suddenly seem to have a lot more resonance which is actually too much - everything is ringing out long after I've played the note and muddies the next notes if I don't mute the strings - which I don't want to do of course.

I think strings are even ringing out sympathetically from the ones I play as well. I can easily put in another higher bridge, but does anyone know why this is happening? I've tested with a tuner and no string is being fretted above the fret I intend - it's really weird. My guitar seems to have found a life of it's own and it's taken off and is out of control!

karcey    42

G'day Carol,

Nobody's rushing to explain where this extra sound comes from. And I certainly don't know.

Maybe it's only now that your guitar is demonstrating its full potential. Could be that when you get used to it you'll grow to love it.

I have to say I've owned a guitar or three that didn't vibrate enough. And because of that, I had to work them hard. If I can find one of them now, you may like to swap?

carol m    64

Thanks for your reply Karcey, but I won't be swapping this guitar, probably ever. It was a truly generous offer, but I've decided to go with a more constructive (for me) approach:

I reckon I have 3 solutions to this:

1. Get used to it.

2. Play faster so the resonance is killed by playing the next note on that string.

3. Play slower and let individual notes ring out fully before moving to the next note.

I think if I use all 3 options I'll be able to continue my happy relationship with this guitar. But....I will bear your kind offer in mind, should this plan not work out as planned.

:)

karcey    42

I think I'm going to lose out on this opportunity. Oh well, maybe next time.

Carol, maybe the new sustain of the notes isn't a bad thing. Unless you're into Flamenco or similar, the fullness of a note must surely be considered positive. I confess I haven't been paying much attention to studying your favoured style of music, but I'm at a bit of a loss to imagine tunes where this sustain is going to be a problem.

Hang on ... new idea. I reckon what you should do is accept this guitar for the music it suits and go out and find yourself another for the music this one doesn't suit. Problem solved.

GAS is one thing but your situation reeks of pure necessity!

If you get a chance to give us a bit more info about this resonance situation, I for one would be very interested.

karcey    42

Plywood tops are probably less responsive. On better guitars you can hear the strings sing even in response to your voice. That's the top acting like the diaphragm in a mic and transferring vibrations to the strings.

I still think you'll grow to love it.

carol m    64

Plywood tops!! Wash your mouth out Karcey. :laughingg: Thanks as always for your words of wisdom, but we do have a clean language policy here you know.

And you're right, it's sounding better every minute.

karcey    42

Plywood tops!! Wash your mouth out Karcey. :laughingg: Thanks as always for your words of wisdom, but we do have a clean language policy here you know.

OK so you've caught me out again. But in my defence I have to say that there are many guitars with p****** tops that produce a reasonable sound. For the purist they may be a non-event, but for the beginners they are totally viable. And when you're sitting on the beach, or around a camp fire, it's hard to pick a problem.

Like you, I've moved on to solid tops, but there's no way I'll ever despise the instruments I used earlier. Even if they had p****** tops!

carol m    64

A gallant defence, oh wise one. I am truly humbled by your eloquent words. I personally have a new (it really was) ebay acoustic electric guitar that cost me $85 and I have no idea what's it made from, but I love it as much as any other, well almost. I reckon if I didn't know how much it cost I would regard it as an equal.

Quote: 'it's hard to pick a problem' - indeed. Do you have the tabs?

karcey    42

Indeed GDB, it's the euphemism which separates our cultured family from the great unwashed out there. In future I shall endeavour to use the socially correct "laminate" as you suggest. Except if I forget of course, and with my miles on the speedo, that could happen more frequently than I'd desire. In fact every time I pick up the guitar I'm reminded that I've forgotten something.

And Carol, that eBay special you have probably is pl (oops) laminate, but at least it doesn't resonate for hours when you play a note.

starsailor    20

I wasn't going to reply but thought I wood. Sounds like it's just settling down after a refit Carol, it appears you've just given it a new lease of life, nice one :leadguitar:

carol m    64

After more research - and absolutely no local environment/household noise - here's what I found - all with a firm pluck on the open 6th string.

Nylon Yamaha classic - entry level student model from 1982, unknown wood info but with a new really low set-up: 22-23 secs

$85 guitar - unknown wood info righty strung lefty with open E tunings: 12-13 secs

Tanglewood $1000 solid pine top: 12-13 secs

Takamine $1400 solid cedar top in open D tunings: 16-18 secs

Seagull $400 second hand solid cedar top in open D tunings: 21-22 secs

Unfortunately the seagull has such terrible intonation problems especially the B string it's almost unplayable except with a raised nut and slide.

The surprises were that the cheapy had the same resonance as an expensive solid top guitar, my fav Takamine had less difference than I'd thought, and the guitar I never play because of it's intonation problems has such good resonance.

Come on people - get your stop watches out and tell us what you've got.