carol m

Getting Email Notifications

carol m    64

I don't know if anyone has posted about this before but

I recently discovered that it's not enough to mark all forums and threads as 'Watch this Forum' and 'Watch this Topic', and have Immediate Notification ticked in Settings, you must also go to Manage Watched Topics/Forums in Settings and you have to notice the 'No Email Notification' in small print under each Forum and Topic (I had lots) and then notice the little check boxes at the right hand side to select each Forum/Topic and then think to open the menu at the bottom of that page (where 'Unsubscribe' was the visible option so I didn't look further), and then choose Immediate Notification from the drop down menu.

Then go back and check through your listed Watched Forums/Topics and check you've not missed any. I enabled all of mine and now I get an email for all I've posted in, and also any new topics/threads in a Watched Forum, which I don't think we had on the old site.

Now I feel I'm wired for sound - chatter at least, and sometimes music. Now, everyday when I turn on my computer I have my finger on the pulse of what is happening in the GFB world - does it get any better than that?? (correct answer = No :))

carol m    64

If you want them all turned off I expect you should go through the same procedure, and after you've checked/selected all the forums/threads you want, open the menu at the bottom of the Manage Watched Topics (and Forums) choose No Email Notifications - that should work, I think.

Why you would want to select No Email Notification is a mystery to me, but it's a free world. :)

starsailor    20

Hi Carol, I just checked out Mattz video of While my guitar gently weeps http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/index.php?/videos/view-5-while-my-guitar/ (cool) on the video subforum and left a reply but it doesn't show up in updates in Videos or the main forum, are the video comments just kept seperate, I only knew Matt had posted one because I went over to listen to one of Johnnydoxx's but if I hadn't headed over there I would never have known Matt had posted, which would have been ashame as it was brilliant, shouldn't the video notification's be in the main section, if I get notified of new content I check it out but I didn't know this had been posted, I assume it's the same for other Members. Or have I missed something again :dunno:

Edited by starsailor

carol m    64

Goode question Chris - we'll have to wait for someone more cluey than me for that one - i.e. Clancy.

I still haven't found your fancy dress party pics.

6string    81

Hi Carol, I just checked out Mattz video of While my guitar gently weeps http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/index.php?/videos/view-5-while-my-guitar/ (cool) on the video subforum and left a reply but it doesn't show up in updates in Videos or the main forum, are the video comments just kept seperate, I only knew Matt had posted one because I went over to listen to one of Johnnydoxx's but if I hadn't headed over there I would never have known Matt had posted, which would have been ashame as it was brilliant, shouldn't the video notification's be in the main section, if I get notified of new content I check it out but I didn't know this had been posted, I assume it's the same for other Members. Or have I missed something again :dunno:

When you click "view new content" you default to new content in the forum

If you want to view other content you have to click the appropriate category

select the video tab and you will see Matt's video listed.

post-88-12837252634_thumb.jpg

post-88-12837252753_thumb.jpg

post-88-128372528845_thumb.jpg

starsailor    20

When you click "view new content" you default to new content in the forum

If you want to view other content you have to click the appropriate category

select the video tab and you will see Matt's video listed.

Thanks 6string, I was thinking it would be better to have the link in with the rest of the updates, as people sometimes don't bother to go to seperate forums depends how much time they have, if people just want to check out videos it's fine but it limits the number of prospective viewers, members would get more hits if new ones were in with the general content, just my opinion though, if everyone's happy with the set up, that's cool.

Clancy    36

The Video Category on this forum is an add-on so it can't really be integrated with the main forum anymore than it is already. It's a neat feature, but it's not perfect.

As for the notifications, the topics showing the "No Email Notification" are topics from the old forum. That changed with the conversion. I turned on the "Instant Email Notifications" for new topics and replies by default soon after I realised that it wasn't set up by default. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to set all the notifications of the old topics back to being "Instant Email Notifications" but as Carol mentioned, it can be reset by the member. A bit of a pain I know, but the conversion in general was a pain. :)

Clancy

starsailor    20

The Video Category on this forum is an add-on so it can't really be integrated with the main forum anymore than it is already. It's a neat feature, but it's not perfect.

As for the notifications, the topics showing the "No Email Notification" are topics from the old forum. That changed with the conversion. I turned on the "Instant Email Notifications" for new topics and replies by default soon after I realised that it wasn't set up by default. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to set all the notifications of the old topics back to being "Instant Email Notifications" but as Carol mentioned, it can be reset by the member. A bit of a pain I know, but the conversion in general was a pain. :)

Clancy

Thanks Clancy it is a neat feature, I'm using it more now since I mentioned it, I didn't know it was an add on though, the email notification is ok, I've managed to sort all mine out, feel a bit daft asking questions sometimes, still finding the way round the site, appreciate your tolerance :thumbup1:

Cheers

Chris

Clancy    36

No problem Chris. If you ask on the forum then it helps everyone. I wasn't even aware of the way to access new content for the Video section. Thanks for that 6string. You want my job?

Clancy

carol m    64

I just found there is a separate Help section that you get to from View New Content>Help files>etc and there you can get slightly different additional help info - along with some of the main help topics as well.