johnmay

still tryin'

johnmay    0

I am still tryin to find that perfect guitar for my budget. I have a Yamaha fg700s on layaway that I should be able to bring home next week . I still need one that I cane plug in when needed. I have found two that interest me and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them.One of them is the LAG Tramontane GLA T200DCE and the other is a Yamaha FGX720SCA . the LAG is a joy to play, good rich sound with understated good looks but I am a little concerned with the durability . The Yamaha is also nice although the action could lowered some but it still puts out a nice sound . striaght up same price I would go for the LAG but I am unsure if it is worth $150-$200 difference in price .this guitar will have to last me for quite some time even if the econmy turns around tomorrow . I have a lot of catching up to do . if anyone has any experience with LAG guitars and know anything about their durability and reliability please let me know.

GotDeeBlues    3

I have not yet seen a Lag in any local shop, but their ads look inviting, for sure. I have had a few Yamahas over the years, and as I moved up they wwere given to friends & relatives to play while learning. Every one is still going strong, but they were all straight acoustic, not A/E. You might try Harmony Central for reviews of the Lags, though. Here's a review I found through Lag's web site forum, others are posted there, too.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Jun/L_G_Tramontane_T400DCE_Acoustic_Guitar_Review.aspx

johnmay    0

I have not yet seen a Lag in any local shop, but their ads look inviting, for sure. I have had a few Yamahas over the years, and as I moved up they wwere given to friends & relatives to play while learning. Every one is still going strong, but they were all straight acoustic, not A/E. You might try Harmony Central for reviews of the Lags, though. Here's a review I found through Lag's web site forum, others are posted there, too.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Jun/L_G_Tramontane_T400DCE_Acoustic_Guitar_Review.aspx

if you get the opportunity to play one don't pass it up . to my ear the LAG has as good a tone as any new guitar I've seen.I wish I had paid more attention in french class all those tears ago . There seem to be plenty of reviews in french . if it will hold up to traveling and my forgetfulness it could be the perfect guitar for the price .the Yamaha is not quite up to the tonal quality but I know they are built like tanks... why does every thing have to be a trade off ..decisions, decisions

johnmay    0

well I picked up my Yamaha 700s today and for the price I paid I don't think I could beat it . It has good tone and the action has been set perfect for me and plays much better than anything I've played less than four times what i payed for it. picked up a bone saddle blank and a set of D'Addrio 12s I think it will do for awhile .(Until I can raise the money for the Blueridge i saw yesterday)

johnmay    0

I've read a great deal of reviews in the past year and there are a lot of people who hold a bias against yamaha . I was one of them until about two years ago .I had my mind changed one my brother grabbed from being thrown in a dumpster . It was just an old fg110 but a set of strings and lowering the action a hair and its still playing better than alot of what I am seeing for 100-200 dollars . I want to change the saddle and nut to bone and change the bridge pins to brass to see if I can squeeze a little more volume out of this 700 but it is sounding so good with the new strings I may leave it alone for awhile. I know it ain't a Taylor but with a little tweaking I think it will hold me over until I'm ready for a high end guitar.( that may be forever) For the money these new yamahas are hard to beat.