knight46

USB BSOD with Toneport

knight46    2

Guys and Gals,

I need some help. I have an IBM Thinkpad T43 running a Toneport UX1 and M-Audio Fast Track Pro and using Reaper as the DAW. I also have an IBM Thinkpad T60 running the same setup. The problem is that everytime I try to run with the T60 I get a USB BSOD. The Lenovo site says I have all of the latest drivers and there are no conflicts. When I run the M-Audio I get an echoy sound with noise.

I am running Windows XP Service Pack #3 on both machines and cannot figure this out. I would really like to use the T60 as it has dual processors and more ram, but if I can't so be it.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks knight46

knight46    2

Hi Skinny,

The BSOD usually occurs when I start GearBox (the emulator for Line 6) and it gives me a USB error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers several times using the most up to date drivers.

The M-Audio Fast Track Pro doesn't BSOD but the quality played through Reaper is bad.

This is driving me up the wall.

Knight46

skinnybloke    4

Knight, we'll go through it by numbers, basics first. I'll pm you my skype, see if we can't fast track this :rolleyes:

1/ Change usb ports.

2/ In "Device Manager" are there any x's or ?'s in the USB controllers section? (Start>Settings>Control Panel>System> Hardware tab> Device Manager button)

knight46    2

Changed USB ports several times and every time I change I have to reload the drivers, like it doesn't recoginize the device. There are no conflicts in Device Manager.

knight46    2

Just hooked up the M-Audio to the T43 with the same settings as the T60 and the M-Audio worked perfectly. I will try the TonePort on the T43 next.

knight46    2

Just hooked up the TonePort to the T43 and everything is working fine. It seems that the T60 doesn't like either the TonePort or the M-Audio. 38.gif

skinnybloke    4

Apologies for the simplistic approach Knight.

Both devices work ok, so next link in the chain.... new usb cable. (unlikely, but it does happen)

The On Board audio IS turned off.

Go to Device Manager, note the numbers (id's)of the USB controllers.

Restart the comp in safe mode, go back to device manager, if there are multiple copies of the usb controllers....delete them all. May as well delete all the Root Hubs while your at it :devil2: Restart comp.

Actually, that's probably worthwhile trying regardless of whether or not you have multiple USB controllers.....and restart with the Toneport plugged in.

An SP3 reinstall is an option, but clutching at straws.

A few hours later:

Been doing a bit of reading...It appears that the Toneport UX1 is not USB 2.0 friendly, and will bluescreen on "some" computers. Duo Core processors can also cause the same problem, again, it's only in "some" instances.

Line6 put out a bit of spin stating that it is only a problem with USB2 hubs, but from reading the forums, it's a USB 2.0 (probably chipset) conflict.

GearBox/TonePort Incompatibilities & Issues

None of which would explain the Fast Track! Starting to do my head in Eddie, I'll read how you went in the morning.

knight46    2

Thanks for the info Skinny and nothing can be to simplistic for me rolleyes.gif . I will try and delete all extra controlls and hubs and take a look at the Direct Monitoring function of TonePort. I have already tried a redo of service pack #3 but may uninstall and try again. At this point I don't think it can hurt.

Thanks again, I will let you know what happens.

knight46    2

Well I went into Safe Mode and uninstalled all of the extra Hub USB's and Controllers. Then I restarted Windows with the TonePort attached. All of the HUB USB's and the Controllers reinstalled themselves, the quality of sound was terrible and when I checked the Settings for the GearBox I got the BSOD.

Must be the Duo Core processors on this particular machine, but I still don't understand the M-Audio not working. 52.gif52.gif52.gif

knight46    2

For anyone following this thread I would like to say first off, I feel like a complete dummy. 6.gif I went on line looking for some sort of reason my laptop would act the way it is and found a thread by a guy on the Line6 forum. He said his computer had one dedicated 2.0 USB port and the rest are hubs (a no-no with Toneport). So I took a look at my T60. It has one USB on the left side and two on the right side, the two on the right side were the ones giving me problems. I hooked the UX1 to the USB on the left and the tone is spot on. claping.gifclaping.gif It will take a while to make sure that the BSOD is gone but I am fairly comfortable that the situation is solved.smile.gif

I want to thank Skinnybloke for his assistance, his comment that he had found some issues at the Line6 site led me back to their forums in search of an answer.

One of the great things about this site is the support and assistance that the members give freely to everyone.

Eddie (Knight 46)