Jim

How many of you name your guitars?

Do you name your guitars?   3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you name your guitars?

• Yes - I name them all
    • Yes - but only some of them
    • No - I haven't bothered
    • No - and you've gotta be NUTS to do that!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

71 posts in this topic

I am really curious as to how many others here name their guitars, and if they do, what names they chose.

I named my Gibson Les Paul Deluxe goldtop "Larkie" because it's sings like a bird, and also because I used "Lark Street music" to do the setup on it, and they did a great job.

I named my Clapton strat "Alberta" because it's white like the snows up in Alberta (Canada) and also because of the blues song by the same name on Clapton's Unplugged album. To be truthful, this name occured to me in a dream the night after I got it, so I'm not going to question that! And my wife has started calling it by the nickname "Birdie" (off the suffix "berta"). I like that, so we usually call it Birdie. :)

And I didn't name my Yahama FG-180 acoustic during most of the years I had it (I got it over 30 years ago) but my nickname at the time (Jamie) is on a label on the case it's in, so I've taken to calling it "Jamie" - my alter-ego for many, many years!

Anyone else??? :D

Jim

Because the color of the guitar is exactly the same as my girlfriends eyes-I call it shawna--(her name)-we make a joke over me "playing" on her.

ive not got round to naming them, but when i have a bad day and cant get my fingers working properly then the guitars get called all sorts of wonderful names :)

I like to name mine some relative name i.e.

Woody, a Samick 335 named because it is taken back to bare wood and oiled.

Sam, a Samick dreadnought so named because of lightnin' Hopkins,fave muso.

Effie,a J&D an archtop acoustic because it has F holes.

The Baby,a Stagg Les Paul named because it took 9 months to get from factory.

Snotty, a Stagg Snotocaster so named because I use it in a Snotty Punk Blues outfit I'm in called" Scary Clown".

The Cricket Bat,a travel guitar because it looks a bit like a cricket bat.

It never really occured to me to name the guitars. I just say my electric or acoustic for whichever I may choose to play at the time.

Neil

I know there are famous guitar names out there -

Blackie and Brownie for Clapton

Tiger and Wolf for Garcia

Number 1 and Lenny for SRV.

Any other famous one come to mind?

Jim

ive not got round to naming them, but when i have a bad day and cant get my fingers working properly then the guitars get called all sorts of wonderful names :)

HA HA HA HA....!!!! :clap::yes::thumbup1:

BB king - Lucille

That's an obvious one I missed... :brickwall:

George Harrison named one of his guitars also - but I can't remember the name or what model it was.

Jim

:lol: :lol: I LIKE IT!!!!!!!

I can't really name my guitars! :( You see i am in an all girls school and if someone says "hey do you want to come into town after school?" at the moment i'd reply no i can't i'm goint home to play my guitar however you can imagine their reactions if say i name it a female name and i said no i can't i'm going home to play /on/with sally! and if i named it a guys name it would be just as bad! :escape: Last year i was extremly sick and missed loads of school and it was bad enough when i went back to hear people asking about the baby iwas supposed to have had during my absense!!! It's a mad school with mad people but i love it anyway!

Keep the names coming i'm intregued!!!!:)

tink!!!

Hope this has a happy ending.

http://network.bestfriends.org/losangeles/news/1406.html

Bo Diddley - Big G

SRV - No.1, or First Wife. ( He is said to have slept with it cradled in his arms)

Willie Nelson - Trigger (named after Roy Roger's horse. He was a big fan of The Singing Cowboy.

Les Paul - The Log

Oh wow! I do hope that BB gets his dog back. :helpsmili I didn't hear about that one - I've lost a dog that way (didn't get it back) and I know how much it hurts.

And thanks for that additional names! :)

Jim

I guess if you can name your Car or your Boat, you can name your Guitar. Let's see...what should I name mine...I know!

Pawn - because thats the name of the shop I bought mine at!

Hey JIm, how can you forget the most well known of all guitars. BB KING's Lucille.

OldManDownTheRoad

That was a BIG one to forget!!! :rolleyes:

My bad...

Jim

I think Hendrix's black strat was named "Black Beauty" - forgot about that one too!

Black Betty is close. :)

Jim

I found out the names of more of SRV's guitars besides Number One and Lennie (and all pre-'63 strats):

Red

Butter Scotch

Charley

His tech said that he named all his guitars that he took on the road with him.

Jim