packy1

Help Setting Up Eq 7545R

packy1    0

I just purchased a new EQ 7545R device to replace one that I thought was bad. This is for my daughters acoustic guitar. I know very little about the names of guitar parts so bear with me. When we purchased the guitar the original device never worked or so we thought. I purchased the new one and replaced all the parts. to test the new one do you just plug head phones into the jack or do you plug an amplifier into it. We tried both with the old device and with the new one and we just can't get it to work at all. Thanks for any help.

carol m    64

When you say you replaced the parts, what did you do? Did the guitar come with the device already set into the bodywork of the guitar? How did you replace it? That is normally a job for an experienced luthier or an experienced amateur.

If the pickup was installed in the guitar when you bought it, how have you tested it? Normally you would buy a guitar lead to plug into the In Jack on the guitar itself, and plug the other end of the lead into either an amp, an external sound card connected to a computer or an amp, or direct into a computer (not recommended if you want it to sound ok).

Let us know what the problem is and I'm sure there is an answer to the problem. What is the outcome you are trying to achieve? Is it to hear the sound of the guitar amplified, or to be able to record the sound of the guitar without a microphone?

packy1    0

Thanks for the quick reply. I ordered the same eq 7545r unit that was in the guitar. It came with the pick up and the jack receiver. I removed all the old parts and put the new parts back in. The pickup went underneath the plastic ?fret at the bottom below the sound hole.

How do you test the pickup?

I plugged head phones into the 1/4" jack that's in the guitar body but I didn't hear anything. I thought this might work because the eq7545 has a battery in it. I then tried plugging it into the amplifier, Gorrila GG20C, But all I got was static.

I just want her to use the guitar with the amplifier. I'm not even sure if this amplifier is appropriate for this guitar,$10 at yard sale.

Thanks again.

skinnybloke    4

It may be the amp that's faulty packy1. Get a 1/4">1/8" adapter and plug the guitar into the sound card on your computer to test it. Use the Aux socket on the sound card.

Andy S    9
Get a 1/4">1/8" adapter and plug the guitar into the sound card on your computer to test it. Use the Aux socket on the sound card.

Sure about that aux socket?? On my PC the Aux socket is an input. If you have a speaker out on your PC (most do now a days) then take the 1/8" connector and plug it in there and then plug the 1/4" end into the amp.

It definitely could be the amp and not the guitar. Plugging headphones directly into the guitar jack won't work. The signal isn't strong enough to be heard without some amplification. If you can't hear any output from the PC to the amp, (making sure first that whatever you were using as a signal actually comes out of the PC speakers) the amp is probably the problem.

ordered the same eq 7545r unit that was in the guitar. It came with the pick up and the jack receiver. I removed all the old parts and put the new parts back in. The pickup went underneath the plastic ?fret at the bottom below the sound hole.

That "plastic ?fret" is called the bridge, by the way. Just so you can start accumulating more guitar mechanic lingo.

Another question. You mentioned removing all the old parts and putting the new back in. Did you happen to take a look at the input jack on the guitar? Sometimes they are built into the end pin, where the strap connects. Other times, they are near the bottom, but not part of the end pin. If the wires from that are connected to the EQ and looked ok there, were they connected at the input jack? I've seen many guitars that the nut around the jack came loose and the sleeve where the cable goes in had spun around so much that the wires broke off. That needs to be checked also.

One other item could be the cord itself. Unless you have something else to check the cord with that could be the issue and your spinning your wheels for naught.

Let us know what you find. Good luck!! :winkthumb:

packy1    0

Before I start thanks again for the replies, this makes it so much easier to work on.

I plugged the guitar into the computer mic jack and turned on the sound recorder. I can't beleive it but I can hear a very faint but highly distorted guitar. How does the vibrations get from the string through the plastic "bridge" to the pickup? I wonder if this is my problem.

I plugged my telephones mp3 output into the amp and I could hear music through the speaker but it wasn't very clear, not even close to what I expected.

So the cord must be good, the amp works but in my opinion very poorly and the EQ 7545R works because I heard the distorted strings on the computer.

Maybe my problem is a combination of both the amp and the pickup.

Is there a way to tell if the pickup is workin properly with out going through the EQ 7545R? I know how to use an ohm meter if it matters.

Thanks again, Mike

skinnybloke    4

Yea, I'm sure about that Andy.....I wanted Packy to bypass the amp, and plug the guitar directly into the Aux (in) port on the sound card.

Packy, if you don't know which socket is the auxilary then try all free sockets, one of them should give you clean(ish) sound.

The "plastic" fret you refer to, is called a "Saddle".

The wood plate the saddle sits in, is called a "bridge".

Your EQ 7545R's pickup is situated beneath the saddle (via a hole drilled in the bridge). You should know this if you have replaced "ALL" the parts.

piezzo.jpg

The arrow shows what the pick up looks like.

And Andy's right, leads are notorious for just ceasing to function.

A guitar store would sort this out for you in a couple of minutes.