micky mac    14

hi all does anyone have any sudgestions on some simple tunes to help me play by ear.Ive never tryed before so they will have to be very easy thanks in advance

carol m    64

Hi Micky Mac, when you say to play by ear, is the idea to work out the chords yourself? Also do you have a preference for the style of song? Songs like Over the Rainbow, or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, or any Christmas Carol are relatively easy - maybe you were thinking of something completely different? Many pop songs use only 3 chords, and should be possible to work out by ear as long as you know maybe 5-8 basic chords

If you have cds you like, try playing along to them, and keep your capo handy. .

micky mac    14

hi Carol thanks for the reply.I think twinkle twinkle may be a good place to start i know it'l be a long road to get any good at it but in the future i would like to be able to play nearly any melody i want to from easy to difficult

carol m    64

Do you have a plan? I'm thinking you could work out the single note melody and then work out which chords would fit to it, or you could start with a basic chord and then try a few others until you find the next one that matches the tune in your head. Kirk also has a lesson on Twinkle Twinkle, but using that to help wouldn't really be working it out by ear - it would give some clues if you got stuck though. Or you could find a youtube version of the tune and try to match your chords to what you hear. There are many ways to do it, and they all help train your ears and fingers.