jimsea789

Matching Chords To A Tune

I need some help. I was preparing for a church retreat when a simple tune popped into my head based on the theme: Jesus, Remember Me When You Come Into Your Kingdom.

Anyway, I came up with a simple little refrain and even a few possible verses, but even though I can sing them (sort of), when I tried to match guitar chords to it I can't seem to figure out even where to begin. Any idea how to go about it?

I'll send a little snippet of me singing the refrain and possibly a verse or two (accapella) so you can hear the tune.

Thanks,

Jim

Jesus Remember Me my version3.mp3

Start the same way would as if you were looking for the chords to a tune you heard.

Sing the first word and find the note on your guitar that matches it. That is your root chord. Then do a search through the theory lessons for the chords in each key. A very common chord progression is I,IV,V. meaning the first, fourth and fifth chord in a key. Alternately, listen carefully to where your voice changes over a passage. That is a hint that you have changed chords. Good luck

Hi, jimsea789.

I just had a bit of a play along and found that C to G7 to Am back to G7 worked well for the refrain. You could move to the darker sounding Am and Em for the verses. Play around with C - F - G7 - Am and Em, you'll find the right progression.