dan5001

Epiphone Dot 335

dan5001    0

although I said to myself I would not buy a new guitar for at least two years (yeah right....) I am sorely tempted by an epiphone dot 335 (mostly, um, because of the way it looks). there seems to be some suggestion out there that the earlier korean made ones are better than later chinese made ones. is that right and if so when did they switch? also, whether the truss rod cover says "dot" or gibson". Any ideas what the significance of that is?

any other comments on this guitar most welcome.

thank you

dan

GotDeeBlues    3

The earlier Korean models were made in the Samick factory and were 3 ply maple with Grover tuners, fit and finish was better done. I let one slip by a while ago, should ahve bought it on first impulse. Wound up with a hardky used Chinese version, and uograded everything from tuners to tailpiece, pots and pups, switch and jack. Pics posted in http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24020-dot-project-finished/

dan5001    0

thanks GotDeeBlues, that is very helpful. Is there an easy way of telling whether a secondhand one is an earlier Korean or later Chinese?

Edited by dan5001

GotDeeBlues    3

All Dots I've seen has the country of manufacture on the headstock somewhere. If you're set on looking for a Korean model, be patient and scour E Bay and Craig's list, they're posted for sale regularly. I can suggest you contact Bob at 9 South Guitars in Freehold, NJ great guy to deal with, and he's always turning up nice preowned stuff.

mailto:bobordeaux@yahoo.com Tell him Dominic refered you, I'm a regular customer of his, bought my Strat and Yairi and others from him.

allthumbs    8

I used to hang with semi pro musicians quite a bit in my younger days. They considered dots a great workhorse and a very stable platforms for upgrades.

pHGTRSpider    32

I've been playing a yamaha version of a dot 335. Mine's an SA500, really very nice guitar and had mine for about six years now. Can highly recommend this model & has been played and travelled a lot.