shonie777

'65 Fender Jaguar "pictures"

I got a '65 Fender Jaguar from a friend to rebuild for him. It is severly worn. He bought this guitar new in 1965 and it has seen a lot of action in it's life as you can tell from the pictures. This guitar most probrably played nothing but country its entire life. Although I'm not a major fan of country music, but country music is a big thing where I live.

Originally this Jaguar was a burst. My friend let his cousin borrow it back in the early 70's and when he got it back many years later it was brush painted red and basically in the same condition as you see it now. Needless to say he was pretty upset about it. So he put it back in the case and it has never been out of the case until recently.

Aside from having a horrible red paint job, the body is in ok condition. It has typical buckle rash and some dings and a some chips in the wood. There is one part of the body that has a pretty good sized chip.

The neck has aged a beautiful orange and has major wear on the neck finish, which I think looks awesome. However the frets and fretboard are severly worn as you can see in the pictures. I'm sure most of this comes from a lot of country twang. I did some research on Jaguars and found out Fender stopped binding the necks in '66. Although the serial number says its a '66, it has a bound neck and the owner said he bought it in '65. So it must be a '65 unless someone can prove it otherwise.

As far as the neck goes, I sure hope it's salvageable without causing any major differences in how the neck looks now. I restrung this guitar up with new strings and set it up the best I could and played it through my '76 Fender Dual Showman Reverb. Oh man did this thing sound sweet! None of my other guitars sound like this one. it has a sound all it's own. Aside from some fret buzz I really liked it alot!!

I have since taken this guitar apart to begin the process of rebuilding it.

It will be impossible for me to remove the red paint and salvage the burst finish underneath, so I will have to use a heat gun to remove all the paint off the body. I was thinking I should leave the finish in the cavities that have the production markings, so that anytime in the future, if someone may want to know the orgins of this guitar, the markings will still be there to prove the originality of the guitar.

The owner of the guitar wants the body of the guitar to be an aged Olympic White. I offered to burst it for him, but he really likes the aged Olympic White. I have a 1980 Fender Bullet Bass Deluxe that is an aged Olympic White and he really likes the color. So I will finish it the way he wants. He also wanted me to fill in all the buckle rash marks and wood chips in the body so it will look new. I told him that the neck is really worn and aged and I thought it would be a good idea to keep all the wear marks on the body so it will match the neck and not look half new and half old. I will relic the body the best I can to make the guitar look right for it's age. If anyone has any other recommendations on any other ideas for this, please let me know. I'm always open to other ideas.

As far as all the wiring, switches, shielding and pickups go, they are in pretty decent shape, I'm going to keep them all. I think they just need really good cleaning and can be used again. Especially those awesome pickups. Everything worked perfectly fine when I restrung the guitar and played it before disassembly.

Any how, I thought I'd share all this with you guys and see what ya think. If you have any suggestions, ideas or recommendations on how I should go about all this, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it. This is my very first vintage job and I welcome any and all help with this project.

On a side note, my friend also has a red '54 Strat that has been sitting in its case since the early '70s. It's in amazing shape! I've been pestering him nearly daily for him to sell it to me.

Here's the pictures of the '65 Jaguar.

Peace,

Shonie

Edited by shonie777

I took the neck in to the shop for a fret job the other day. Gonna run me around $250 which includes fixing the worn fingerboard. I need to get busy stripping the body now.

Shonie

cool project best of luck.I just bought a made in mexico strat its black i was thinking af sanding some of the finish of the body cause i love the look of old beat up guitars would you recommend it or how to go about it

I took the neck in to the shop for a fret job the other day. Gonna run me around $250 which includes fixing the worn fingerboard. I need to get busy stripping the body now.

Shonie

Your upgrades cost more than some of my guitars! lol