shonie777

Es 335 Copy Upgrade

Here I have a Starfire ES 335 12 String Gibson copy I picked up the other week. I have always wanted an ES 355 12 String Gibson, but I don't have 4-7k to drop down on a real one, so this Chinese made Starfire will do just fine for me until I hit the Arizona Lottery Jack Pot.

Right out of the box the guitar was set up ok. All I really had to do was tune the thing and plug it in. The action was nice and low with no buzz at all. The neck has a real nice thin "D" feel to it. The sound was….eh…somewhat ok I guess. It's nothing like a real Gibson ES 355 12 String, but what do you expect for a Chinese copy? To be completely honest, the guitar sounded alot better than I thought it was going to sound. I played it through my 1976 Fender Dual Showman Reverb amp.

The build on the actual body of the guitar was pretty darn good in my opinion. The wood looked nice and just about everything was clean. The F-holes were a bit rough and the fret board was not very clean as you can see from the pictures. Nothing I couldn't do to fix myself. So over all I was pretty impressed with the overall build.

When I bought the guitar, it was and still is my intention to upgrade it the best I can. Aside from giving it a "Navatone" headstock badge, here's the list of major upgrades that I plan on doing to the guitar.

Gibson Guitar Electronics Super Kit w/ CTS Precision Tolerance Pots

DiMarzio DP216 Mo' Joe Bridge Pickup

DiMArzio DP213 PAF Joe Satriani Pickup

Callaham CNC Billet Steel ABR-1 Bridge

Other upgrades I plan on doing include:

New Schaller Tuners, Bone Nut, Custom Pick Guard, Custom Truss rod Cover and strings of course.

I will do my best to post my progress here as it comes along.

Shonie

Here's the photo set of my progress on Flickr.

Edited by shonie777

I got my headstock logo on and ready to go. Took awhile because I had to wet sand it between coats, but it turned out purdy nice. I also got the fretboard all cleaned up and dressed it with teak oil. Man was that rosewood thirsty!

Shonie

Shoniepost-32806-127863677692_thumb.jpg

I need to update this post. I got the pick ups in and the rest of the electronics as well as the headstock decal done. I need to save up some money for the bridge, tuners and pickguard. In the mean time, the guitar is leaps and bounds better than it was when I first got it. The pickups and new electronics make all the difference in the world! I'll try to post new pictures and a few sound clips. I forgot to do sound clips when it had the original pick ups, but trust me, they really were not that good.

Shonie

Sounds like you're moving rith along with the upgrade. I hope those pups were not too much trouble getting wired up for ya. I still have the original parts from my Dot if they will be of help to you, I'll give them to you. I have a bridge and stop tailpiece, the pots, knobs, tuners, two Epi humbuckers, etc. PM me if you need any of that.