New Lesson - The Star Spangled Banner

11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,243 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

I've fallen back in love with my old Gibson J-50, can't seem to put it down these days.

I know it's close to the event, but I've done a new version of The Star Spangled Banner for all you Americans. Your big day is coming up, and it's such a great tune, it just seemed appropriate. It's a new arrangement I came up with in the key of D, and it's in Dropped D, a great tuning, fairly straight forward ... easier than it looks.

I have new cameras, so you'll see a different format from now on. I have dispensed with the front-on shot. My hand and fingers were obscuring what I was actually fingering from that angle, so I'm just going to be using the overhead player's-point-of-view shot from now on, it works so well. They're both High Definition cameras, although the compression takes a lot away. The movie in the downloadable folder is very clear though, BIG and clear. I'll need to get a manicure before I shoot these lessons from now on, I think.

The lesson is here:
http://www.guitarfor...pped-d-version/

Have fun with it. Make sure you play it standing up if you're American!

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,009 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:46 PM

What an interesting take on this instrumental. Excellent.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,243 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

I'm glad you like it, Eddie. Happy 4th!

#4 OFFLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,017 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

That's the best way to display the fretboard, as the player's eyes see it.
Deja Moo: The feeling that youve heard this bull before.

#5 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:33 AM

Nice one Kirk ,great arrangement, it has very good bones that anthem.

So as to not show a bias towards those good folk up there can we expect a similarly rousing version of Advance Australia Fair ;) I calculate if your game you have 217 days to come up with one, and I reckon you will need ever one of them, even then I'm not convinced even you could pull it off :D
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#6 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,243 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:24 AM

View Postmattz196, on 30 June 2010 - 12:33 AM, said:

Nice one Kirk ,great arrangement, it has very good bones that anthem.

So as to not show a bias towards those good folk up there can we expect a similarly rousing version of Advance Australia Fair ;) I calculate if your game you have 217 days to come up with one, and I reckon you will need ever one of them, even then I'm not convinced even you could pull it off :D
Now there's a challenge, Matt. 'Rousing' and 'Advance Australia Fair' just doesn't sound right somehow, does it.

Hang on .... I just had a quick twang of it and it's actually not a bad little tune. It's those freakin' lyrics that make us all cringe, but the tune itself is typical anthem.

Consider it done.

#7 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:20 AM

View PostKirk Lorange, on 30 June 2010 - 03:24 AM, said:

Now there's a challenge, Matt. 'Rousing' and 'Advance Australia Fair' just doesn't sound right somehow, does it.

Hang on .... I just had a quick twang of it and it's actually not a bad little tune. It's those freakin' lyrics that make us all cringe, but the tune itself is typical anthem.

Consider it done.

Though my Girt is rejoicing in anticipation of an arrangement of beauty , can't imagine to much wealth coming your way from toiling with this tune. In history's page should you ever try playing it on any stage they may not be joyful strains you hear, and any further gigs you get may be very rare.

P.s definitely won't be holding you to you commitment on this :)

Edited by mattz196, 30 June 2010 - 04:21 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,243 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:05 AM

View Postmattz196, on 30 June 2010 - 04:20 AM, said:

Though my Girt is rejoicing in anticipation of an arrangement of beauty , can't imagine to much wealth coming your way from toiling with this tune. In history's page should you ever try playing it on any stage they may not be joyful strains you hear, and any further gigs you get may be very rare.

P.s definitely won't be holding you to you commitment on this :)

Posted Image ... what's that? The third verse?

#9 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,009 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

That is a very nice Anthem, Just had a listen on You Tube. I actually thought it was Waltzing Matilda.

Edited by eddiez152, 30 June 2010 - 11:36 AM.

Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#10 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

View PostKirk Lorange, on 30 June 2010 - 06:05 AM, said:

Posted Image ... what's that? The third verse?
No but this is :mrgreen:

"When gallant Cook from Albion sailed
To trace wide oceans o'er;
True British courage bore him on,
Till he landed on our shore;
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
the standard of the brave;
With all her faults we love her still,
Britannia rules the wave
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair."

I supposed they dumped this verse as they figured with lyrics like those we may of well just kept on singing God Save The Queen.

I somewhat doubt many will be interested but here's a link to Advance Australia Fairto tab and lyrics. Your off the hook with that lesson now ;)

#11 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

I'm an Aussie now and I never knew there was more than one verse. A quick search showed that Waltzing Matilda isn't copyright either, or Oh My Darling Columbine - oops, Clementine.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#12 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

Kirk did Waltzing Matilda a while back Carol... and Matt, I have to tell you Kirk has been coming up with an arrangement for AAF and since it was your suggestion we'll be expecting a rendition from you posted on here. :)
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users