Jump to content


Loading
- - - - -

Couple Questions From A Newbie Slider


6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slowhiteboy

    Newcomer

  • Active Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 28-December 08

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

Hi Kirk,

I was looking at your Fretscapes discussion with those really nice pictures but I am confused about that 3 string dom 7 slide position. You have it under the Am fretboard so I was wondering is an A7 considered major or minor or kind of both? Since it has the major 3 I always thought it was major. On your DVD at 36:36 you play an A7 up near the double dot position but the phantom fretboard animation (VERY cool idea btw) shows you sliding only the 5 and b7 but not the 1. I can't tell if you are not hitting that on the picking hand. If you are not hitting that with the slide is it because that is the A string and you are getting a deeper bass 1 note instead of the higher octave A? Sorry for the blurb here. I am pretty excited about slide and want to make sure I understand correctly what you are doing.

SWB

#2 OFFLINE   slowhiteboy

    Newcomer

  • Active Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 28-December 08

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

(FYI I tried to edit my previous post but it wouldn't let me - no edit button)

Also Kirk I wanted to ask about using fingers or fingernails with the picking hand? What do you recommend there?

#3 OFFLINE   slowhiteboy

    Newcomer

  • Active Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 28-December 08

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

Just a heads up - once you post something and then leave the forum and return you can no longer edit it. The edit buuton vanishes.

Edited by slowhiteboy, 26 June 2010 - 10:52 AM.


#4 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

    Moderator | Lesson Contributor

  • Lesson Contributors



  • 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

So, you're now able to edit your posts, slowhitboy?
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.


View my lessons here at GfB&B


"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty


#5 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

    Site Founder

  • Admin



  • 4,243 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

View Postslowhiteboy, on 26 June 2010 - 08:56 AM, said:

Hi Kirk,

I was looking at your Fretscapes discussion with those really nice pictures but I am confused about that 3 string dom 7 slide position. You have it under the Am fretboard so I was wondering is an A7 considered major or minor or kind of both? Since it has the major 3 I always thought it was major. On your DVD at 36:36 you play an A7 up near the double dot position but the phantom fretboard animation (VERY cool idea btw) shows you sliding only the 5 and b7 but not the 1. I can't tell if you are not hitting that on the picking hand. If you are not hitting that with the slide is it because that is the A string and you are getting a deeper bass 1 note instead of the higher octave A? Sorry for the blurb here. I am pretty excited about slide and want to make sure I understand correctly what you are doing.

SWB
If you mean the one up at the 12th fret, I just forgot to add the note on string 5-fret 12 in the top diagram. I'll fix that asap. You can either play the three strings or two strings ... whatever suits at the time. If that's not what you mean, write back.

#6 OFFLINE   slowhiteboy

    Newcomer

  • Active Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 28-December 08

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:38 AM

View PostKirk Lorange, on 26 June 2010 - 06:35 PM, said:

If you mean the one up at the 12th fret, I just forgot to add the note on string 5-fret 12 in the top diagram. I'll fix that asap. You can either play the three strings or two strings ... whatever suits at the time. If that's not what you mean, write back.

No that was it Kirk thanks. To SolidWalnut, no I still can't edit posts once I logout and return the edit button vanishes.

KIrk I wanted to ask about fingernails vs. fingers on the picking hand. Should I grow mine out so I get more of a "plectrum" sound? Seems muted using the fingertips themselves.

#7 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

    Moderator | Lesson Contributor

  • Lesson Contributors



  • 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

View Postslowhiteboy, on 28 June 2010 - 05:38 AM, said:

...To SolidWalnut, no I still can't edit posts once I logout and return the edit button vanishes.
Please post the question in the Troubleshooting forum. I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but Clancy will be able to figure that out.
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.


View my lessons here at GfB&B


"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users