- - - - -

We're Back! New Forum, New Site.

45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

hmmmmm............... i have to say my first impressions are that i don't like the new layout
but you can't please everyone, and most folks seem to like it. may take a while to get familiar with it.

Paul

#22 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

Hang in there Paul, it takes a while to get to know your way around. Once people settle in, there will be time for fine-tuning - you know Clancy can do anything - short of resurrecting Godzilla....maybe - and I'm not entirely certain she couldn't do that if she really wanted to.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#23 OFFLINE   Stringthing

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 18-October 09

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

SWEET, Well done.
I NEVER MET A GUITAR I DIDN"T LIKE

#24 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,874 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

Congratulations on the new site, still finding my way round it but it does look excellent, well done Kirk, Clancy, Carol and everyone involved in the rebuild, kudos to you all.

Best Wishes

Chris
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#25 ONLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 3,980 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

View PostClancy, on 25 June 2010 - 02:56 AM, said:

......HUGE thank you to Carol. She has been helping out with bugs...
Clancy

Carol = The Exterminator! :hammer:

Edited by 6string, 25 June 2010 - 07:48 PM.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you’ve heard this bull before.

#26 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the thanks, folks.

If anyone is having trouble setting the time zone accurately, if you leave both DST options unchecked it seems to work ok. That's how it works for me anyway.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#27 OFFLINE   pHGTRSpider

• Active Members
  • 305 posts
  • Joined 08-October 08

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

Well done Clancy, Kirk & Carol.
Don't dream it, be it.
from the Rocky Horror Picture Show

#28 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

This is good - if you go to the Forum main page, the online members are listed down the bottom, and if you click on Members Name, or Last Click, you get a page showing where everyone is and what they did last - the spy in me says 'cool". :innocent:

#29 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

Looks really good!
Great job Clancy, Kirk and of course the inimitable Carol M

#30 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:12 PM

If you try to buy a subscription from the link in the Help pages you currently get 'error, not found' - BUT don't despair! All is not lost, because if you go to the site Home Page you can buy a subscription by clicking on the Movie Pass icon at the bottom left. :D

#31 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:18 PM

View Postscotty_b, on 25 June 2010 - 10:10 PM, said:

the inimitable Carol M

That's a first, scotty! I'll take it as a complement - thanks, I think. :winkthumb:

#32 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

• If you go to the Moderating Team link - in the thin blue banner across the bottom of the Forum main page, and above 'Active Users' you'll see what looks like '--------------' for each Forum Moderator. If you click on the '--------------' you'll get a drop down menu/link their forums (and lessons if they've contributed any).
  • Right next to that tab at the foot of the Forum Home page, is the 'Today's Active Content' which gives you a list like the old drop down menu tab that used to be near the top of the page on the old site.

#33 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:17 AM

Watched Forums - I couldn't find a way to set this in Settings, but Help says:

"To subscribe to a topic or forum, go to that area and click the " Watch" button. You can also subscribe to a topic while replying by checking the "Enable email notification of replies?" checkbox from under the post configuration options".

And I couldn't find a way to check/watch them all with one click, but if you go to a Forum you want to watch, you can click Watch this Forum (blue) with that icon on the Forum, or Subforum, header - right hand side.

#34 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

View Postboroboy41, on 25 June 2010 - 07:20 AM, said:

Cheers Clancy that seems to be working now.One more thing though...when I click on "view new content" I was expecting the equivalent of the "View New Posts" from the old forum, i.e a list of threads that have been updated since my last visit. It seems to bring up the Forum Search form instead. Is that right?BB41

BB41, the view new content link should be working now.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#35 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

View Content is working now. Yay

#36 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

View Postallthumbs, on 26 June 2010 - 12:42 PM, said:

View Content is working now. Yay
+1 Yay here
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#37 OFFLINE   mattz196

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 31-July 06

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

After a few days of use I'm thinking the new format is far superior .
Just a few of the things I like .
Firstly a clearer more open "look".
One click new content
One click subscribed/watched threads.
I never had worked out before how to embed a video before ,so simple now .
The add and name a link is also much better.
Message system where I don't have to think "do I reply at the top or the bottom"
Could be my imagination but it also seems faster.

Top job Clancy I think its great. :claping: :claping:
Matt
What's Rangoon to you is Grafton to me

#38 OFFLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the feedback. There are still some things I need to sort out, but we are getting there slowly.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#39 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,248 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:20 PM

I've been exploring here for a while, and as far as I'm concerned it's the movies that are the outstanding star feature of this new site.

For those of you who haven't got a movie pass yet, you are really missing out. Yes, the written stuff is good, but the movies are the really outstanding new feature here. They are in the blue banner heading across the top of every page above the Guitarforbeginners red logo.

They're not just 'this is what 'x' is', or this is how you do, say, vibrato or muting, or how to find and understand scales, chords, extended chords, etc. Of course it is all that, but much more besides. In fact it's something I've never seen anywhere else on the net before. You get a chance to have a real musician showing you, and demonstrating, how to understand everything about music, playing guitar, and more importantly, how to make a collection of notes into something that sounds like music.

And it's for anyone. It's ideal for beginners, but I reckon even experienced guitarists will learn something from the movies.

Also, they really inspire you to pick up your guitar and really get into your playing again, even the practicing :) and start twanging out some music.

And you don't have to pay for a teacher you only see once a week, it's right here any time you want it, and you can replay it as often as you want to.

You can probably tell, I'm really impressed with what I've seen and learnt from the movies already. And no, I'm not being paid to write this! I am genuinely impressed. :mrgreen:

#40 OFFLINE   hans-jürgen

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 21-September 06

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:18 AM

View Postcarol m, on 26 June 2010 - 12:17 AM, said:

And I couldn't find a way to check/watch them all with one click, but if you go to a Forum you want to watch, you can click Watch this Forum (blue) with that icon on the Forum, or Subforum, header - right hand side.
Somehow related to this I would like to mention that your old subscribed threads seem to have the status "No Email Notification" now if you check them under "Watched Topics". To change this status to e.g. "Immediate Email Notification" for all old threads, you can simply select them all at once and choose this option in the dropdown menu.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That little ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users