Some Easy BT's for Beginners

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,228 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:01 AM

I've put together some simple backing tracks today. They are all similar with the same tempo, and can be cut and pasted, looped etc. The idea was so I could start improvising over single chords or two chord bt's.

They can also be used for playing scales over, or chord changing if you want to. They all have the same bass rhythm so you can paste any together in whatever combinations you like.

The 2 chord progressions:
A and E;
A and a lower E;
C and G;
G and D (or A).

Deep Pad Composition is a more complicated progression but with the same bass rhythm:

2 bars bass intro/ E x4/D x4/A x2/Em x2/D x2/Em x2/D x2// repeat x 3.

The G chord + Bass + lead is one chord throughout, but with some lead added that you could copy if you want/need an easy intro to playing over chords - like me.

Attached Files

One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#2 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

Thanks Carol ! This may be what I need to get me started on trying to play over a bt ! I'm not real sure of what I'm doing yet but I'm gonna tinker with it and see if I can come up with something !

Johnny

#3 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

Good stuff Carol; now let's hear some more of your lead playing!

#4 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,228 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:20 AM

I've replaced the one chord G track + solos with an updated version - it now works as a loop on repeat (no gap at the end) and fixed some timing glitches on the lead. Also you can cut and paste the first 4 bars (no lead) and loop them for your own soloing if you want.

That's the plan Scotty - I reckoned one chord would be good for starters, and then 2 chords for the more adventurous. And.... so there's no confusion, that was me playing Computer OK? :) not a real guitar.

If anyone wants the same thing (chords plus bass like these) done with different chords I could do that fairly easily now I've got the basics for this combo worked out in GarageBand.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#5 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,820 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:13 PM

Well done Carol, thanks.
"Hail Mary full of Grace..."

#6 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,228 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:12 PM

Here's another simple BT - all G chords or compatible with G so you should be able to play/solo using the G chord components only - I haven't tried it yet but I think that should work. Or practice the G scale to it if that's what you want.

The actual notes played in the chords are (low to high):
D G B/ G C G/ repeat x 1/ E G B/ B F# D/ D G B/ C E C - back to the start.

Repeated 3 times through.

The bass is:
B D G B D/ C C D F# - repeated throughout.

Attached Files

#7 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,228 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

I don't know if anyone will find this useful, but I'm practicing up a piece I learned ages ago, and it turns out the first part is great to noodle over. I've just been finding double stops and playing counter harmonic lines over it and it's fun to do. It's nice and slow but you can add faster melodies over it.

It's in the key of D and as far as I can work out, the chords are:
D - A7(?) - D - A/G(?) - D/A - A - D - A
D - A7(?) - D - A/G(?) - D/A - A - D

If all else fails, rely on your ears. It'll loop in your player for easy noodling.

Attached Files

#8 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 9,882 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

Carol,
This sounds familiar. I would say an improved version as well.
Just fooling around with piano parts. Well done. By the way, can you tell me if you used a metro to keep time? What beat count?
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#9 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,228 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

Are you referring to the last upload (the Guilliani)? I didn't use a click track, although I tried that at first, but it made the playing kind of stilted and didn't flow.

But...this is just the first part, I'm still working on the rest of it, and will add to the recording when I've learnt it better. So if you want to do your 'thing' (:claping: ) like last time, maybe waiting for the rest would be a good idea?

I don't know what the tempo is but I'll check the recording and see what fits. My timing's improved a lot hasn't it! :winkthumb:

edit: the tempo is ~ 54-56 bpm - my kind of speed at the moment on this one. When I do the finished version, I'll practice more with a click track to get the timing better - I'll also get rid of that slide down between chords at the start, or at least make it less.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users