23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

Hi all,

I've just uploaded the latest version (V3.0) of my random chord progression generator.

For those who haven't been following my Developing Free Music Software - Volunteers Wanted! thread in the music lounge, there have been a couple major changes since my last version:
- Brand new interface
- MIDI playback options

Here is the link:
http://www.guitarfor...n-generator-v3/

If you have any feature suggestions and or come across any bugs, please let me know. And as always, have fun! :smilinguitar:

-tkr
'Cause I don't wanna read the book, I'll watch the movie.

Tekker's Lessons on GfB&B: Music Theory, Recording, and General Guitar

#2 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,476 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

Looks fantastic Tekker. Took a while for it to load for me, but great work. Well Done! I'll put it in the next newsletter that we send out.

Cheers

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#3 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

Thanks a lot Clancy!

Ever since I added images in my last version it started taking longer to load after I uploaded it so I think it has something to do with how it reads in the images off the server. My newest version increased number of images and the sizes of the existing images, so it takes even longer to load initially (but hopefully it's worth the wait. :D) But when I run it here off my hard drive it loads instantly.

Thanks again,
-tkr

#4 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:43 AM

This has certainly developed since you first started.
An interesting observation on my computer. If I view it in Firefox, which I normally use, the bottom of your layout is cut off. I can just see the Acoustic grand piano and the tops of the buttons to the left. The right hand edge is also cut off, but there's nothing over there anyway.
When I view it in I.E. I can see the whole lot.
I'm working on the solution, haven't found it yet. If anyone has any ideas, I'm a good listener.
"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#5 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:56 AM

karcey said:

An interesting observation on my computer. If I view it in Firefox, which I normally use, the bottom of your layout is cut off. I can just see the Acoustic grand piano and the tops of the buttons to the left. The right hand edge is also cut off, but there's nothing over there anyway.
When I view it in I.E. I can see the whole lot.
That's really strange. I use Firefox as well and all of it shows up here.

Is the white box (which should show up against the darker background) during the loading the same size as the window after the program loads? Or does the window get cutoff after it loads?

Also, can you post a screen shot?

And thanks for checking it out! :)

-tkr

#6 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:34 AM

Also, can you post a screen shot?
Now Tekker, you know I'm a technophobe!
OK, here's a screen dump of the problem. As you can see there's a grey border right around the outside, but strangely the edge has been cut off the bottom and the right.

Attached Files

"The music matters more than the instrument on which we play it." Jason W. Solomon

#7 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

Interesting... I just tried some things here and can't get it to do that. I even cleared my browser cache and decreased my resolution thinking that may have something to do with how much of it is displayed and it still showed all of it.

I've looked through all the Firefox settings and can't find anything that seems like it would fix that problem.

Does the white box show up as the same size when the program is loading and displaying the "Java" sign?

-tkr

#8 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

When the Java is loading, the white box fills most of the screen. When the generator image appears it's exactly the dimensions of the white box, it's just not complete in itself.
Don't get bound up about it. If I'm the only one seeing it, then it's an issue with my computer alone.
I do appreciate your help though.
I'll try it on my Firefox at work today and see how I go there.

#9 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

Sad news I'm afraid.
The computer at work shows the generator perfectly. So now I know it's a glitch with my home machine.
I'll keep digging ...

#10 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:53 AM

But you said that IE shows it all correctly right? So it sounds just like something going on within Firefox on your machine since IE works.

So I'd just use IE for the chord progression generator and not worry about it in Firefox. This is odd though, because I've never seen IE do anything better than Firefox... aside from attracting viruses. LOL

-tkr

#11 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Problem solved.
Saved the bookmarks, totally uninstalled and re-installed Firefox.
Now it's as good as everyone else's.
Another happy customer.

#12 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:35 AM

Awesome, glad you got it figured out. :)

-tkr

#13 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:58 AM

Brilliant Tekker - works like a charm on mac/firefox. I really like the colour scheme, which is important, I reckon - it makes you feel good about it - that's not quite right, I'd feel good about it even if it was in garrish neon red or lime green, but not quite as good.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#14 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:22 AM

carol m said:

Brilliant Tekker - works like a charm on mac/firefox. I really like the colour scheme, which is important, I reckon - it makes you feel good about it - that's not quite right, I'd feel good about it even if it was in garrish neon red or lime green, but not quite as good.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean... It gives it a more professional feel. The old one (while I did like the giant PRS background :D) didn't really have a theme and with the floating buttons on the white background there was nothing tying it all together. So even though it's still the same application, it 'feels' more professional now.

-tkr

#15 OFFLINE   musicpeeps

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 14-February 11

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:26 AM

That was so helpful to those who are making music using that software

#16 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

View Postmusicpeeps, on 16 February 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

That was so helpful to those who are making music using that software
Thanks musicpeeps, I'm glad you found it helpful! :) One of these days I need to get back to work on it as I figured out how to export the chord progression as a MIDI file that you can open up in other music/recording software (that supports MIDI) where you can edit the progression, use your choice of any VST instrument to change the sound, add other instruments to it, etc... I got it to work in a small test program, where I exported a chord progression and then opened it up in my recording program. But implementing this feature into my main program is going to be pretty time consuming and Java applets don't allow writing files to the user's hard drive unless you jump through some security hoops... So it's going to be quite a process.

Oh, and btw, I did finally figure out the problem karcey had with the screen getting cut off... it has to do with the zooming in the web browser. In firefox if you go to View > Zoom > Reset (or use the shortcut Ctrl+0) it'll reset the zoom back to 100% and any cropping will be fixed.

-tkr

#17 OFFLINE   karcey

• Active Members

• 1,329 posts
  • Joined 02-January 06

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:51 AM

View PostTekker, on 16 February 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

Oh, and btw, I did finally figure out the problem karcey had with the screen getting cut off... it has to do with the zooming in the web browser. In firefox if you go to View > Zoom > Reset (or use the shortcut Ctrl+0) it'll reset the zoom back to 100% and any cropping will be fixed.

And Karcey appreciates that extra bit of information. Keep at it, I love your work.

#18 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,027 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:16 PM

Tekker,
You've done a wonderful job on this. Works great on my Mac
eddie
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#19 OFFLINE   Briandb1222

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 09-January 11

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

Wouldn't work for me even on computer...

#20 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Karcey and Eddie. :)

Karcey, I'm in the process of finishing up another program (a random rhythm generator this time) which is kind of similar to the one I currently have here but a lot more features and MIDI playback. Here's the basic shell of the program (click the question mark at the bottom and then hover over a feature to see an explanation for what the feature does).
http://www.guitarfor...mGenerator.html

And a semi-recent render from Photoshop of how it will look when it's all done. There are a few things left I still have to code, but it's just about finished.
http://www.guitarfor...WithButtons.jpg

I've also got a metronome program in the works that will have different modes such as standard, polyrhythm (for drummers), and tempo change (which will change the tempo after a set amount of measures). I've got some cool interface ideas for this one, like being able to add multiple tempo changes and move them around to change the order, but it's a matter of how on earth I'm going to program it. :confused: LOL

-tkr

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users