nickcallear

DEAN ML wiring problems

Hi folks,

I bought a DEAN ml yesterday off my good friend for £80 gbp

Its got a active emg 81 in the bridge which sounds amazing but the problem is the passive neck pup dose not work. As im new to the active pup scene i dont know weather or not its been disconnected or there is a problem with the wiring.

Its got a 3 way switch and only works in position 2 & 3.

Its a nice guitar and i would rather do the work my self as i worked with soldering in my previous job.I would just like to get a bit of information and wondering if any body else has had this problem before.

Thanks for your time

Ive also uploaded some pics of the new edition

9153.attach

9154.attach

9155.attach

The guy came round again last night and i asked him,He had the neck pup disconnected because he only played metal.

So now i need to connect the pup as i play a bit of all of all sorts and need the clean sounding neck pup.

Dose any one no where to get wiring diagrams from or is there any good resources on the net.

All help welcome

Thanks Nick

The easiest way to disconnect a pup is to snip one wire close to the switch. Let's hope that's the way he did it.

The sensible way to snip a wire is to leave just a small bit attached to the switch so you can see in the future where it came from. Let's hope he did that too.

Have a look at the switch and see if it's obvious where the wire came from. You may be lucky and not need a diagram. If you can't see where it came from, then the position of the switch contacts when it's dead may show you which contact to use.

The easiest way to disconnect a pup is to snip one wire close to the switch. Let's hope that's the way he did it.

The sensible way to snip a wire is to leave just a small bit attached to the switch so you can see in the future where it came from. Let's hope he did that too.

Have a look at the switch and see if it's obvious where the wire came from. You may be lucky and not need a diagram. If you can't see where it came from, then the position of the switch contacts when it's dead may show you which contact to use.

Thanks karcey, Ill be sure to check that out as im going to try and sort it out this weekend when ive got a spare few hours.

Il be sure to let you know how i get on with it.

Thanks again nick

I had a quick look yesterday but the bad news is i cant seem to see any loose wires around so this might be a bigger job than i thought.Ill have to wait till i get some new strings which might be this weekend and im going to whip out the neck pup see where the wires have gone to.

Ive also discovered another problem yesterday with the jack input, Its fine when im still but when i walk around (as im trying to get use to standing up and play) the sound keeps cutting off and then coming back on.I can wiggle the jack and it happens, any ideas as to what this could be.

Thanks

The jack is the simplest part of your guitar electronics. When you look at the back you'll see how it works. The body of the jack is earthed, and makes contact with the shaft of the plug. There's a springy contact which touches the tip of the plug. That's what carries the signal. If the springy contact is a bit slack, the connection can be a bit dodgy. Just give it a bit of a bend and it'll press harder on the tip of the plug. And also make sure the jack is nice and firm in the body of the guitar.

Thanks karcey your advice worked for the input jack.I gave the spring connection a bend and bobs your uncle it now works.

Ive also managed to sort out the neck pup problem aswell and i have a fully working guitar. Nice clean sound on the neck and a nice heavy sound thanks from the EMG in the bridge.:winkthumb: