dan5001

crack in the neck

dan5001    0

I've noticed a crack in the neck on the fretboard of my guitar. It's about an inch long and maybe 1mm wide at it's widest - looks sort of like the wood has split. I am assuming that this is not ok but don't want to make a us with the retailer if it's nthing to worry about. My fear is that it will get bigger....

what do you guys think?

starsailor    20

If you've bought it recently and/or it's still under guarantee I'd take it back, doesn't sound good from your description and if it's brand new it shouldn't really have been sold to you in that condition, I'd take it back and get another guitar, you have every right to and they can't really argue as from your description it's pretty obvious it's defective.

dan5001    0

wow - I'm really having a hard time with this - the retailer insists that it isn't a "crack", it's just "split along the grain". he's sent it back to the manufacturer but it's gonna be a couple of weeks to fix (if they fix it) and meantime I've got no guitar to play...

this sucks

karcey    42

I'm glad I'm not retailer ... I'd never learn the required terminology like the difference between a crack and a split.

If the crack/split is normal, I'm sure your man will be able to show you plenty of others in his shop with the same endearing feature. If he hasn't any others then it might be like the fly in the soup story, you might just be the lucky one.

Anyway, I reckon you're doing the right thing by sending it back. And as for the delay, unless you're old like me you still have plenty of years left to study this beautiful instrument.

But on another tack, can we interest you in a second guitar? Many of us here have a second. Most have a number of seconds. I think I have about a dozen. They're generally the result of GAS, which is a phenomenon well explained in other posts on this forum.

But no, let's not make light of your predicament. Hang in there ... we're on your side.

Keep in touch.

P.S. None of my guitars came with either a crack or a split. And from memory I don't think I've seen one in a shop with a crack or even a split either. Does this mean we're missing out on something down under?

starsailor    20

I think he should have just replaced the guitar and then sent it back himself, we bought a second hand car last year and spotted a chip in it's windscreen, the salesman said it was just a chip but we told him to replace the windscreen and we'd buy it for the agreed price, he did and we bought it. It was just a chip but we thought, that could shatter and as well as forking out the cash for the car we may have to get a new windscreen so we haggled with him.

A split along the grain will I assume follow the grain and maybe get worse, so it will need a new neck. The bottom line is he sold you a new guitar with a defect at the standard retail price, doesn't matter what the defect is, might just be a chip in the paintwork or a scratch on the body, it's a defect end of. If you'd seen the split and negotiated a discount that would be fine but he sold it in mint condition.

Hopefully the manufacturer will either replace the neck or replace the guitar rather than patch it up, it's one that's sneaked through quality control at the factory and the shop. Don't think the retailer handled this right and if it was me I wouldn't go there again.

Plus one to Karcey on a second guitar, I have a few, the back up doesn't have to be expensive, just something you can play until your good one comes back, it's no fun not having something to play but like Karcey says 3 weeks will pass pretty quick, hope this works out ok for you Dan, it's just annoying that the retailer's so awkward, they need to work on their customer service.

eddiez152    129

Karcey,

Heck you started me a thinking about that crack and split thing.

I suppose a crack would be perpendicular to the run of the neck and a split would be along the run of the neck. What ya think?

dan5001    0
Karcey,

Heck you started me a thinking about that crack and split thing.

I suppose a crack would be perpendicular to the run of the neck and a split would be along the run of the neck. What ya think?

funnily enough it does run along the neck so maybe it is a split not a crack:dunno:

anyway, things i have learned from this experience:

1.. never buy a guitar from a retailer who doesn't keep secondhand guitars to lend you one when your's breaks

2. never ever ever ever buy an ASHTON guitar. For various reasons this is the third ASHTON guitar I've bought and, get this - they all broke. The ASHTON rep apparently said, "well, what does he expect, it's a budget guitar" - so a budget guitar is supposed to crack? (sorry, "split" )

karcey    42

G'day Eddie,

Etymology can be interesting, but the way people abuse the language these days, I think it could become more frustrating than satisfying.

If I was describing the problem to you, I'd probably use split to suggest grain separation. A crack, well as you infer, that could more likely be associated with a pressure or tension problem and may not necessarily follow the grain at all. Talking to a dealer though, I might be tempted to follow Starsailor's lead and just call it a defect.

Dan,

There are probably thousands of reliable Ashtons in the world. But the man is right, it is a budget guitar. Not that there's anything wrong with that in itself. My favourite guitar for years was a Pearl River, cheap as chips, made in China, a bit tone deficient, but particularly well made. Bought it on ebay for about $50, learned heaps with it and I still love it even though I've moved on to better sounding Admira and Alhambra. But with a budget guitar you've got more chance of a problem than with a better made guitar. Having said that I'm disappointed that Ashton are producing items with defects. There's a big difference between "cheap" and "faulty".

I never suggest that beginners should buy the most expensive guitars they can find, but I believe that down the track you'll look towards a the more expensive range of instruments, but buying second hand and costing about the same as your Ashton did new. You'll get one which has been cared for, not abused, and which sounds clear and crisp when you pluck the strings. Muddy music is the realm of cheaper guitars. By the time you finish with it, it'll be still in the same condition and still sound as good, but you'll move on to one that pleases your ear more. That's the way it happens. But for now, let's hope that dealer doesn't stuff you around and you get your guitar back quickly.

Keep in touch.

starsailor    20

I don't think Ashton would be very impressed with that Rep. his tenure with Ashton may be short lived, shouldn't be selling stuff he doesn't believe in but I suppose it's a job at the end of the day, I admire his candid approach but "all my guitars are crap" isn't a good sales pitch. We have a store in Penzance which is a main dealer for Ashton and I thought they looked quite good, must confess I didn't pick one up and play it as I was just browsing with no intention of buying actually went into town to check out an Antoria guitar in a junk shop but the dealer wasn't up for haggling. The Ashtons looked well made but there are always bad ones that get through, the shop and the maker both have to have good quality control, if the maker sends them a dodgy one they can send it straight back and tell them it's sub standard doesn't do the store's reputation any good selling dodgy guitars, the Customers will walk away once it gets round, don't think anyone expects brilliance from low end guitars but there's no excuse for shoddy workmanship these days even on low end guitars, if we buy one off ebay we can run the risk of that but it's pretty unforgivable in a Music shop, even be ok if they just said this is pretty low end it's not as good as this one but to try and excuse obviously bad workmanship is just out of order. Yamaha sell low end and they have real attention to detail, it surprises me that Ashton don't, it's just a guess but it seems like the damage on yours may be because the wood used on the fretboard isn't seasoned enough or was substandard when it was put on, wood always moves but it moves less after proper drying and seasoning, I've got a great example of unseasoned wood in my house, some of our doors are made up of well, timber planks and they started shrinking when we moved in, they've stopped moving now but we have 2 inch gaps in some of our doors, makes me laugh and they have character but it's a classic example of the danger of employing a dodgy builder who uses damp unseasoned wood because it's cheaper, I didn't employ him by the way, it was the previous owner who built the property for holiday lets but went broke, we were the first people to live in it and a lot of the house is wood, some of it's changed shape quite markedly.

Did you buy all the guitars from the same Store Dan ? I must admit I probably wouldn't touch that brand either after your experience. Other makers like Tanglewood, Yamaha, Dean, Fender, Seagull, Epiphone are making nice lower end guitars around the same price as Ashtons, there are quite a few around, be ideal if you could just get a refund off the store or a swap for another one in a similar price range but the store doesn't sound very helpful, I like Yamaha but that's the best guitar I have at the moment, they are well made and mine is heading for 20 years old now I think so they're reliable too.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience but hope this all works out ok for you, whereabouts in the UK are you by the way ?

a refund and a trip to another retailer and different brand would be my first thought if it were me. knowing that my new guitar WAS SPLIT would be on my mind for quite a long time. i'm sure 50 phone calls to ashton might do the trick. budget guitar or not, a split neck is a defect plain and simple. good luck! my 2 cents...