A ballad full of peace,love, happiness and good stuff

20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

This is a backing track I have put together for one of my students so he can practice changing chords/keys as he solos.
The progression is as follows
|C#m7 / C#m13/| % | % | %| A Maj7 | A13 | G#m7b5 | G#7#9#5|

Hope to hear some takes from you guys!

Attached Files

#2 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:21 AM

That sounds great but looks really scary - C#Dorian? G#7#9#5? This will require some serious research - not a bad thing.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#3 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

Well really only the first four bars are dorian, the A maj7 would probably be a lydian chord, the A7 a mixolydian chord, G#m7b5 is a locrian chord, and the final chord I would approach with the super locrian, or altered scale.
And breaking the lot down into arpeggios and using the PT method would make it a lot easier.
The Greek names are nothing to be scared of Carol - so when are you going to post a take on it?

#4 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

I know you think that explanation helps, and it's appreciated, but.....super Locrian?? :laughingg:

When am I going to post a take on this? Not any time soon, but I do like the bt and will do some investigating of the chords. That shouldn't stop any of you other clever people having a go though - we can all learn when we hear what others can do.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#5 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

ok Scotty - you asked for it - I can't believe I'm doing this, but here is my first electric recording ever, maybe my 4th time playing electric guitar ever, my first run through improvising to your track, first take, no edits, dodgy notes and all, no tone, no vibrato, no mixing - whose afraid of a few greek names???? Be prepared for, well, it's hard to describe - I've only listened back to it once and there are some real howlers early on...so here it is, it's awful - but maybe it'll give you a giggle.

Yes, I did tune the guitar before starting but, I don't know what happened there. I might try to do better tomorrow.

Attached Files

#6 OFFLINE   sheraton

• Active Members
  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined 22-August 09

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

nice progression:winkthumb: not jammed to a backin track for a while....think i may give this a go..

hmmmmm........locrian, mixolydian, dorian......beyond me:dunno:

i'll try to jam by ear......and see what happens

#7 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

Yes go for it Paul - actually, I deliberately set the bar low to encourage others. :whistling

#8 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

Carol,

I really enjoyed that ! Sure a few bum notes here and there but nothing that couldn't easily be fixed. Don't cut yourself short ! It would have taken me weeks just to figure out where to begin and then several more figuring out where to go from there ! Nice job:thumbup:

Johnny

#9 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

Thanks Johnny - the sad truth is I didn't know where to start or where to go either - I just winged it and hoped for the best. Well, I knew the first 3 notes before I started but that's all.

Have a go and see what you get. It's nice and slow which helps!

The good part is that I might try this sort of thing again, maybe with more of a clue before I start.

#10 OFFLINE   Chrispy

• Active Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 04-January 08

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:48 AM

carol m said:

Thanks Johnny - the sad truth is I didn't know where to start or where to go either - I just winged it and hoped for the best. Well, I knew the first 3 notes before I started but that's all.

Have a go and see what you get. It's nice and slow which helps!

The good part is that I might try this sort of thing again, maybe with more of a clue before I start.
That's SWEET Carol!
I really like that feeling you've got there.
Keep them coming will you?
Let the Music Play!

#11 OFFLINE   Chrispy

• Active Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 04-January 08

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:30 AM

It's not easy, but here we go....

Attached Files

Let the Music Play!

#12 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

carol m said:

ok Scotty - you asked for it - I can't believe I'm doing this, but here is my first electric recording ever, maybe my 4th time playing electric guitar ever, my first run through improvising to your track, first take, no edits, dodgy notes and all, no tone, no vibrato, no mixing - whose afraid of a few greek names???? Be prepared for, well, it's hard to describe - I've only listened back to it once and there are some real howlers early on...so here it is, it's awful - but maybe it'll give you a giggle.

Yes, I did tune the guitar before starting but, I don't know what happened there. I might try to do better tomorrow.

Excellent Carol!
I am glad that I may have contributed to playing the electric for the 4th time ever - good stuff!
Thanks for that.

#13 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

Chrispy said:

Very smooth Chrispy, enjoyed that a lot

#14 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

sheraton said:

nice progression:winkthumb: not jammed to a backin track for a while....think i may give this a go..

hmmmmm........locrian, mixolydian, dorian......beyond me:dunno:

i'll try to jam by ear......and see what happens

yeah don't get hung up on the names; would love to hear what you can do with it!

#15 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

Chrispy said:

You sure made it sound easy ! Nice job !:claping:

Johnny

#16 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,257 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:50 AM

Well done Chrispy - now that is what I call guitar playing. :claping:

Scotty: yes, you got me to finally plug in my electric! It's so different to play - I think the out-of-tune-ness is to do with finger fretting pressure pulling on the string - it's not so easy to keep it on the note without small un-wanted bending which you only hear when you listen back.

#17 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:17 AM

And this is my attempt at it.
I am glad you did play electric Carol - I have another track I have just made up for the same student, but a lot easier in that it is only two chords. I'll post that one up here later.

Attached Files

#18 OFFLINE   Chrispy

• Active Members
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 04-January 08

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

That's good guitar playing man...
You should record "Summertime", yeah that oldie!
With the same instrument and sound you used in this bt...That would be awesome!
Think about it, and if you do it i would like to have a crack at it.
For example in E minor?
Let the Music Play!

#19 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,028 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

carol m,
Darn good shat at it. Congrats to ya.
Chrispy,
Well done.
Scotty,
And to the creator. Good work.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#20 OFFLINE   windsong

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,711 posts
  • Joined 29-October 07

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:32 AM

View PostChrispy, on 07 June 2010 - 02:30 AM, said:

that was powerful

may I ask what effects you were using

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users