scotty_b

A ballad full of peace,love, happiness and good stuff

This is a backing track I have put together for one of my students so he can practice changing chords/keys as he solos.

The progression is as follows

|C#m7 / C#m13/| % | % | %| A Maj7 | A13 | G#m7b5 | G#7#9#5|

Hope to hear some takes from you guys!

C# Dorian backing mp3.mp3

That sounds great but looks really scary - C#Dorian? G#7#9#5? This will require some serious research - not a bad thing.

Well really only the first four bars are dorian, the A maj7 would probably be a lydian chord, the A7 a mixolydian chord, G#m7b5 is a locrian chord, and the final chord I would approach with the super locrian, or altered scale.

And breaking the lot down into arpeggios and using the PT method would make it a lot easier.

The Greek names are nothing to be scared of Carol - so when are you going to post a take on it?

I know you think that explanation helps, and it's appreciated, but.....super Locrian?? :laughingg:

When am I going to post a take on this? Not any time soon, but I do like the bt and will do some investigating of the chords. That shouldn't stop any of you other clever people having a go though - we can all learn when we hear what others can do.

ok Scotty - you asked for it - I can't believe I'm doing this, but here is my first electric recording ever, maybe my 4th time playing electric guitar ever, my first run through improvising to your track, first take, no edits, dodgy notes and all, no tone, no vibrato, no mixing - whose afraid of a few greek names???? Be prepared for, well, it's hard to describe - I've only listened back to it once and there are some real howlers early on...so here it is, it's awful - but maybe it'll give you a giggle.

Yes, I did tune the guitar before starting but, I don't know what happened there. I might try to do better tomorrow.

scotty's ballad of peace & love.mp3

nice progression:winkthumb: not jammed to a backin track for a while....think i may give this a go..

hmmmmm........locrian, mixolydian, dorian......beyond me:dunno:

i'll try to jam by ear......and see what happens

Carol,

I really enjoyed that ! Sure a few bum notes here and there but nothing that couldn't easily be fixed. Don't cut yourself short ! It would have taken me weeks just to figure out where to begin and then several more figuring out where to go from there ! Nice job:thumbup:

Johnny

Thanks Johnny - the sad truth is I didn't know where to start or where to go either - I just winged it and hoped for the best. Well, I knew the first 3 notes before I started but that's all.

Have a go and see what you get. It's nice and slow which helps!

The good part is that I might try this sort of thing again, maybe with more of a clue before I start.

Thanks Johnny - the sad truth is I didn't know where to start or where to go either - I just winged it and hoped for the best. Well, I knew the first 3 notes before I started but that's all.

Have a go and see what you get. It's nice and slow which helps!

The good part is that I might try this sort of thing again, maybe with more of a clue before I start.

That's SWEET Carol!

I really like that feeling you've got there.

Keep them coming will you?

ok Scotty - you asked for it - I can't believe I'm doing this, but here is my first electric recording ever, maybe my 4th time playing electric guitar ever, my first run through improvising to your track, first take, no edits, dodgy notes and all, no tone, no vibrato, no mixing - whose afraid of a few greek names???? Be prepared for, well, it's hard to describe - I've only listened back to it once and there are some real howlers early on...so here it is, it's awful - but maybe it'll give you a giggle.

Yes, I did tune the guitar before starting but, I don't know what happened there. I might try to do better tomorrow.

Excellent Carol!

I am glad that I may have contributed to playing the electric for the 4th time ever - good stuff!

Thanks for that.

nice progression:winkthumb: not jammed to a backin track for a while....think i may give this a go..

hmmmmm........locrian, mixolydian, dorian......beyond me:dunno:

i'll try to jam by ear......and see what happens

yeah don't get hung up on the names; would love to hear what you can do with it!

Well done Chrispy - now that is what I call guitar playing. :claping:

Scotty: yes, you got me to finally plug in my electric! It's so different to play - I think the out-of-tune-ness is to do with finger fretting pressure pulling on the string - it's not so easy to keep it on the note without small un-wanted bending which you only hear when you listen back.

That's good guitar playing man...

You should record "Summertime", yeah that oldie!

With the same instrument and sound you used in this bt...That would be awesome!

Think about it, and if you do it i would like to have a crack at it.

For example in E minor?

It's not easy, but here we go....

this is great stuff you did here. I like the tones and your phrasing!!!

A big thumbs way up on this!!!