Hoobergoober

My low E pin keeps popping up when i tighten the string.

I'm fairly new to restringing my guitar. I got new strings and I'm attempting to restring it, however, when I try to restring the low E, I pull on the string to make sure the ball is as tight as it can be while pushing the pin down, but as I tighten to tune, the pin pops up. Any tips?

Doug    12

Hi HG,

Maybe try to bend the string right before the ball so there's a bit of a kink, and then insert the ball into the pin hole so that the bend angles towards the soundhole. That may help.

-Doug

solidwalnut    5

Also check when you initially place the ball end of the string in the hole. After you replace the pin, pull up on the string to make sure that the ball reaches the bottom of the pin before you tighten the string.

6string    81

I don't know if this is good advice but

I had a guitar that did that and I put a little piece of paper

in the hole to keep the pin wedged in and it worked.

CirrusPilot    0

I make sure the slot in the pin is pointing up the neck and I make sure the string is sitting in there when I push the pin down. Then I give the pin a firm push with my thumb. Then, to make sure it's seated properly, I will keep one thumb on the pin and with my free hand, I will give the string a short, quick jerk. Don't know if this is correct, but it's something I was shown by a relative and it's always worked for me.