Teddy Picker

New Acoustic Guitar

Hi Boys and Girls,

I am a 30 year old and was bought a guitar (fairly cheap one) when I was 18. I have only started playing it in the last year and am now looking to buy a better one as I dont want to be frowned upon at Open Mic nights.

I have not got too much money but want a guitar that is not laughed up and has a good sound?

Any ideas?

Many Thanks.

(A Steve Marriott Fan)

They're laughin' at yer gittar?

Some folks might want to do stuff like that thinkin' it's gonna make them, or their gittar, look better. Jokin' around with friends is one thing, but a real musician probly ain't gonna make fun of yer equipment. What're ya supposed to do...spend big bucks so you'll be as cool as an open mic guy that laughs at other people's gear?

Yamaha makes some decent gits for a decent price. So does Guild, Godin...I'm talkin' around $500, but you can beat that with a Yamaha.

Buying used makes sense, too.

I guess first I'd like to know what kind of budget you've got. I've a $160 Oscar Schmidt that I played for the better part of 6 years that was one of the best playing acoustics I've ever laid my hands on. Never once got frowned upon at open mics. So the guitar has alot less to do with peoples perception of you than you're playing does. If you stink on ice performing but have a really nice guitar, you're still going to stink at performing.

Hi Boys and Girls,

I am a 30 year old and was bought a guitar (fairly cheap one) when I was 18. I have only started playing it in the last year and am now looking to buy a better one as I dont want to be frowned upon at Open Mic nights.

I have not got too much money but want a guitar that is not laughed up and has a good sound?

Any ideas?

Many Thanks.

(A Steve Marriott Fan)

I have a 1979 D25 guild in great shap and sounds great for 625.00 + shipping. call me 573-317-6271

andyp81    0

Hi

I would buy an early second hand Yamaha acoustic from ebay. There are a few articles about yamaha acoustics and what to look for on second hand guitars. They are good value for the money and sound great.

Good luck

Andy

Jimbo70    0

Find your budget and go out and play a bunch of guitars and find the one that you like and don't worry about what kind it is.

Guitars are like shoes, they are very personal and need to fit you. What might be a good fit for me won't be any good for you.

CirrusPilot    0

You really need to go out and play a bunch of different ones in your price range. If you're looking to buy used, stop by a big box store like GC and play a bunch of different ones. Find the one you like the most and start scouring Craigslist, eBay, etc. Guitars made of different materials and made using different methods will give you some noticeable differences in sound. Do you want bright and clear, warm and mellow, etc?

I wish I would have bought an acoustic/electric instead of a regular acoustic though. I like some of the mid-range Yamahas, I like some of the Takamines, and I also like the Seagulls. But what I like and what you like might be totally different. Find the one that you like the most and forget what people say negative about it.