Kirk Lorange

What we're up to these days ...

Hi, all. As you may have noticed, Clancy and I have been pretty low-profile for the last few months. Apart from our moderators, who do such a great job of keeping the forum running smoothly and spammer-free, Clancy and I are the only two people responsible for this site and we have been very busy over the last weeks and months re-vamping the site.

What Clancy is doing:

Clancy is the person who turned the forum from the non-event that it started out as into the great community that it has become. When I started this site over ten years ago, I clicked the default 'add forum' button and then just let it sit there. Clancy saw the potential years ago, installed the VBulletin software that we've been using ever since, and has spent countless hours fine-tuning, trouble shooting, updating and generally making sure that everything is working as it should. I'm not sure how she learned how to do it, but she knows about databases, cascading style sheets, servers and all kinds of other stuff I don't even know the names of. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't be here typing this post out to you.

She has decided, for many reasons which we need not go into here, that we need to switch from VBulletin software to IPBoard software. She has been working on the huge job that it is for weeks now, preparing for the day that she does the switch over. It isn't simply a matter of bringing the databases of members, threads and posts into the new software; she needs to work on templates, the shopping cart and a hundred other details before she can confidently click the button to initiate the change over. Today, for example, she has begun purging close to 40,000 memberships that have not been activated. You will see the total number of member drop over the next few days.

What I've been doing

I have completely revamped the front section of the site, that ugly, outdated content portion of GfB&B. I haven't touched it in ten years and it has become an embarrassment. I have rewritten a lot of the content, but more importantly, I have put together just under 100 movies for that section. When I started the site, most surfers were on a slow dial-up connection and movies were unheard of. That has all changed and we're all used to watching movies now. They will be 'Premium Member' content, however, as they will chew through a lot of bandwidth. Some of the movies go for 8 to 10 minutes. As it stands now, we go through well over 6 Gigabytes of transfer per day, so we will need to offset that with a modest fee to watch the movies. We will probably need to upgrade to a bigger, more expensive, server.

What it means for you guys

For you, member of the forum, one of these days soon you're going to see a whole new interface. We've kept our colors and the general look won't change much, but you will have to take a few days to familiarize yourself with the new layout and functions. It's all for the better, though. The new software has some great features and will make it far easier for Clancy to keep it all humming along.

Once we've done the switch-over (and ironed out the many bugs which will ensue), I can get back to doing what I really enjoy, which is to put together fingerstyle lessons for the site, and take a bigger part in the discussions.

I will, of course, let you know when the big day arrives. We'll need to shut the whole thing down for a day or so, but I'm confident you will all appreciate the NEW GfB&B.

You bet we'll all enjoy the new GfB&B. We love the present one and we trust you to redesign as you see fit.

I have to say, it's this site which has kept me connected from the time I was just a beginner to now when I have some direction in my learning. I'm one of those who may have given up if there hadn't been this family type support.

Bring it on Kirk and Clancy.

Appreciate all the hard work you guys put into the site Kirk and Clancy and all the moderators, look forward to the revamp, it sounds brilliant, :winkthumb:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We'd have finished long ago if it weren't for a certain little Georgia Lorange demanding our time and attention. We work in little spurts while she's snoozing. She's a little rascal, but we're keeping her.

9087.attach

Now how can anything else take her place in time pop?:yes:

Most certainly photogenic as well.

I remember the Greg was little, we used to bring his tricycle to the shop where he would ride around all the machines while we were working. The fork lift was our elevator.

What a job I don't envy you that mammoth task,many thanks for all the effort to both of you .

Georgia is looking gorgeous , I'm sure she's a little angel like all red heads, big and small alike.

Thanks all. The new forum has some great new features that I'm sure we'll all appreciate. Attachments in PMs. Private threads (great for collaborations). A photo gallery which can be made private (for friends viewing only) or public. The ability to search PMs, save a PM as a draft and a bunch of other things that I can't quite think of right now.

Thanks for your patience in all of this. We might be down for a day or two when the change happens, but we'll aim for as little downtime as possible.

Cheers

Clancy

Kirk and Clancy, what an amazing job you have done over the last ten years to build this wonderful community.

My sincere congratulations and thanks to you and all your loyal Moderators, and I hope the changeover goes smoothly with no headaches. :claping:

Geoff

Little Miss Lorange, wow! Great picture of a pretty little soul in pensive beauty, (unmistakable look of creative intelligence in her eyes.) Thanks for sharing with us. What a nice surprise.

Clancy, The overview of some of the new features sounds great. Thanks for the preview.

unmistakable look of creative intelligence in her eyes.

Maybe she's summing up the opposition and plotting her next move! Cute.

That's an impressive revamp Kirk and Clancy, and a lot of work, appreciate all your hard work, great picture of Georgia, thanks for sharing, all mine are grown up now but my Grandaughter comes round and reminds me how much attention youngsters need, they're great fun but tiring.

Hi guys,

I guess I'm fairly new here compared to lots of the regulars but I would like to say a big thanks and congrats on starting a great site in the first place and also for all the hard work in keeping it going.

On a personal level, I'm moving into my more active season outdoors, - Summer's here! I love Summer and spend a lot less time indoors and more time enjoying the hot,sunny weather here,(moving here from Britain, this sub tropical climate is still a novelty to me and I love it). I still play a lot of music but just less time for the computer and the recording side....

Thanks again, Gordon.:winkthumb:

GFBAB is the only site on the net worth revisiting:yes: .... it also has some cool members:thumbup1:

we all owe you guys..kirk and clancy..a debt of gratitude:yes: :claping::winkthumb:

and making the best better.......well what can we say:yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh:

cheers....Paul

Well muchos thanksos for your efforts, surely you've gone way 'beyond' what you first envisioned. Great site. Best parts are friendliness and attitude (nobody's told me 'you suck' here, several have said so on other places!)

I agree this site is the best thing that I have found on the net ! I love it and I love the people here. Everyone is very encouraging and helpful . Owe ya'll a truck load of gratitude ! Thank you very much for such a great site !!

Johnny

Thanks again for the nice feedback, everyone. Yes, we did wind up with the nicest bunch of people here ... I'm not sure how that happened, but I'm glad it did. We're still plugging away on the job. Every loose end tied off reveals a bunch more we hadn't even thought of, so hang in there... we're getting there slowly.

I think it would not be out of line to say the reason is the host who has always been the most helpful guide we got. And hostess who put together a place that never allowed the unwanted to reside. And the moderators who kept everyone in line.