hb

Recorded version is off key

hb    0

I am stumped as to what is going on and why, so a little help from the knowledge base would be greatly appreciated.

I realize that midi files are not actually music, but rather some kind of computer generated sound, but it still sounds like music, so with this assumption, hear is the problem.

I have tons of midi files and some of them are quite nice. I want to record over them, but it seems like most software,(audacity, reaper, etc.) do not want anything to do with them, and converting a midi, I have found out, is next to impossible.

So here's what I did.... I unplugged my speaker wire from the back of the computer, then took a stereo wire with two male ends and plugged one end into the jack of my computer that feeds the speakers, and the other end I plugged into my Presonus Firewire recording interface. Then I opened up Audacity and made sure that it was ready to record through the Firewire interface. Then I opened up the midi file, hit record on Audacity, then started playing the midi file on my computer, and yes, Audacity recognized the sound and recorded it. Then when I exported the file, I saved it as an MP3. All is well to here. Audacity now opens up the newly saved file as a MP3 and now I use it to record over on my Audacity. The problem is: A lot of the time the newly saved file is around a half of a semi-tone off. If it were a full semi-tone or two, I could raise it or lower it with the "change pitch" options, but when it's off by a weird amount, the only thing I can do is listen to a note on the new file and tune my guitar into this new, unorthodox key. Very frustrating and time consuming! Can someone tell me what is going on and is there any solution that would cure this.

Thanks in advance,

hb

hb    0

It's a PC.....what do you mean by "recording DAW"? I'm not familiar with that term but will do a little digging into the program to see if I can find out what you mean.

hb

hb    0

Eddie....still haven't found the term that you were talking about and couldn't find anything regarding pitch correction other than what I stated in my previous post, but after looking at it closer, I DID see where I can manually change the pitch in increments smaller than a semi-tone and thus can raise it or lower it to get it into the original key by using my tuner on the song and finding out just how sharp or flat it is.....am still wondering why it doesn't record exactly in tune though:dunno:

hb

Tekker    1
I want to record over them, but it seems like most software,(audacity, reaper, etc.) do not want anything to do with them, and converting a midi, I have found out, is next to impossible.

Yes, "converting" a MIDI file to audio is impossible, because there is no actual audio in a MIDI file to be converted to another format. However, you can record a MIDI file to audio while it's playing through your computer with a program like wavosaur that records the sounds streaming through your computer.

Streamosaur mp3 recorder for audio stream direct to disk

See if that program works better.

It's a PC.....what do you mean by "recording DAW"?

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation

DAW is a fancy way for saying "recording application". So Reaper, Audacity, Pro Tools, etc. are all DAW's.

-tkr

hb    0

Thanks, Tekker......I'll have a look at that program. Perhaps it will be better than going through the re-routing that I'm doing.

hb

Tekker    1
Thanks, Tekker......I'll have a look at that program. Perhaps it will be better than going through the re-routing that I'm doing.

I imagine it will, but I still have no idea why it would be pitch shifting your initial recording. The only thing I can think of would be a sample rate issue, but that would shift it by a lot (not just half of a half-step).

Very strange. :dunno:

-tkr

hb    0

Everything seems to be hunky-dory when I use the Streamosaur mp3 recorder! Had to play with it a little as it doesn't come with much in the way of recording instructions, but it looks like it will work just fine..........and a lot less wires!

Thanks a bunch!

hb

eddiez152    129

hb,

Sorry I did not get back until now but Tekker already explained it.

Glad you got it worked out though.

For me I use a Mac and drop midi files into the track and that pretty much takes care of it.

One of the cool things about midi tracks are that can produce notation and can be modified. If you have GP5 (Guitar Pro 5) it can do that for you as well.

If you have any problem, direct me to the midi file and I will convert it to audio for each track and send it back via email.

hb    0
hb,

Sorry I did not get back until now but Tekker already explained it.

Glad you got it worked out though.

For me I use a Mac and drop midi files into the track and that pretty much takes care of it.

One of the cool things about midi tracks are that can produce notation and can be modified. If you have GP5 (Guitar Pro 5) it can do that for you as well.

If you have any problem, direct me to the midi file and I will convert it to audio for each track and send it back via email.

Thanks Eddie!

It looks like the Streamosaur program is going to get the job done.

And yes, to the notation of the midi files. The only reason that I have so many midi files is not that they sound good, as most of them sound pretty corny, but with a program I have called Notation Musician, it gives me the sheet music to the song, and from here I can do hundreds of things with the sheet music. Not being much of a tab reader, this has been a valuable tool for me.

Still don't know what causes the original problem, but if it's above Tekker's head, then it's out of my league to say the least!

hb

eddiez152    129

Something you may want to try. Pitch correct the imported audio track and see if that cures the problem after its been converted from the midi file.

If you would like send me the converted audio track as an mp3. But only the out of pitch file. I want to try something. PM me for my email.

eddiez152    129

HB,

I do not know if the files went through or they are being blocked.

The original converted file was -31 cents. The Stremo file was +4 cents.

I converted them both and sent them to you. I keep getting a failure message even when I reply with an attachment. The midi file came in right on pitch when converted.

hb    0

Thanks Eddie, I will reply via e-mail.....something's not working with someone's e-mail..are you getting my replies to your letters?

hb

eddiez152    129

I am getting and opening your mail. But when I send a file back it comes up with Demon Failure.

I sent a link to my boxnet account.

I have a Peterson Strobe tuner and it can read to .001 of a cent pitch and Melodyne Studio to convert the file.

I also took the midi file and put the Obo melody track in and it came out just fine on my end anyway through Garage Band on the Mac.

hb    0
HB,

Did you get the files ? RB tells me that the Demon Failure message usually occurs when the files are too large.

Yes, i can get to them through BOX. I might have a look at that program that you were using to get the song in tune. What I had to do before using the Streamosaur recording program was, going in the Audacity program and keep raising or lowering the pitch in small increments until the first note was in sync with the tuner. Kind of a primitive way of doing it, but it finally got me to where I wanted to be.

Thanks for the help,

hb

hb    0
HB,

Did you get the files ? RB tells me that the Demon Failure message usually occurs when the files are too large.

Couldn't prove it or disprove it by me, as I know very little about it, but it seems funny that I could send you all 3 files at once, and they went through fine!......go figure!!

hb

hb    0
hb,

To tell you the truth, no idea either what was happening.

Glad you got the files, now what was the result on your end.

It appears as though they came through right on target!

thanks,

hb

Doug    12

That is very strange. My only guess is that running both the recording software (audacity) and the midi generator on the same computer caused one or both programs to slow down slightly. I doubt that the recording software was affected but maybe the midi player slowed down.

Is there a way of hearing the sound on headphones while recording a midi file and see if it is slower? Probably not worth the effort.

-Doug

hb    0
That is very strange. My only guess is that running both the recording software (audacity) and the midi generator on the same computer caused one or both programs to slow down slightly. I doubt that the recording software was affected but maybe the midi player slowed down.

Is there a way of hearing the sound on headphones while recording a midi file and see if it is slower? Probably not worth the effort.

-Doug

I probably could if I took the time to figure it all out. Your thought has merit though. Since I can now record the midi to mp3 with the streamosaur program and get it to stay in pitch, that is the route I'll go for now.