tfra123

practice swirling a guitar

this site has a stupid rule where you can only post pics if you have posted 5 times so sorry for the spamming:dunno:

so here is a pratice swirl i did with some wood. I dont think the colors came out dark enough, is there anyway to make them stick to the wood better? you can also see missed spots if you look closely. maybe the paint will stick better with primer and a basecoat. I didn't put any of that on the piece of wood. still looks cool though!

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

Neat stuff for sure , but using a dark base coat like black , the colors should go darker , using a light color , using white will make your top colors brighter and a bit washed out . you could also try shades of grey , or even other base colors , which will make the top colors change .

If you know your color wheel you can create different colors , like a red base color and having a blue swirl color (beings it looks a bit translucent / transparent ) , it may go to the purple side , using a yellow base color , and have the blue swirl color it will go green , ect........

Metallics may be a bit harder to do as it usually takes atomization of air out of a gun to get the metallic to stand up , and look right .

It may work and it may come out with all the metallic clumping up in one area and looking bad . only one way to find out is try ;):)

Now pearls may work a bit better as the particles are smaller , but it still may have a clumping effect ! it also may depend how it spreads out over the top of the water , if it will dispense out evenly it may work !

I cant try it as my body shop I work at switched to waterborne base color , we dont use urethanes anymore .

Looks like your getting the hang of it .

What I would try to do , is paint 2-4 boards a few different colors you like , then let them dry for 24-48 hours then try doing another swirl with the colors you want , and see how those look .

Its easier to keep practicing then think you have it and rushing it on your guitar and it not being what you want and having to redo it all over again ;):)

Keep us posted on your progress as I like seeing people try painting projects :)

this site has a stupid rule where you can only post pics if you have posted 5 times so sorry for the spamming:dunno:

We have that stupid rule to deal with stupid people who come here to just post spam. Few bother to post 5 times to upload their spam. It seems to work. The price we have to pay to keep the forum clean of spam. sorry