jdthomasuk

Recording Acoustic Guitar

Hi all,

I have a home studio and have always recorded, I say always but I'm more a vocalist then a guitarist, until now.

So, I want to record my acoustic.

Which is best, to mic up the guitar with an SM57 or use the semi-acoustic and record via a cable?

Are there any drawbacks to either?

Cheers

JD

I tried to record my wife's acoustic using the onboard preamp - but the tone was awful... two dynamics at the body and neck (or condensers if you got the budget) sound much,much better.

Her guitar is a £500 Tanglewood with a Shadow P7 installed (it sounds great into a PA but the recorded tone is to synthetic using the onboard).

jd,

Here is my son Todd, recorded with Electrovoice RU20 Dynamic mic Breedlove guitar

and plugged into PreSonus interface. Example

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/members-recordings-lets-hear-you/22103-turn-around-love-original/

Here is one by me

Recorded with a Shure SM7B Dynamic no plugins and 2nd track with some effects. Taylor GS guitar

SoundClick artist: Edward Zielinski -EZme Band - Acoustic Folk Guitar

Mics are almost always better, though I have played on some sessions where the engineer requested I use my acoustic with pickup because of the way he wanted to mix the album and where the acoustic would be placed.

If you only have one mic, point it around the 12th-14th frets about 15 cm out from the fretboard. It can be adjusted from there for tonal variations, but that is a reasonable starting point.

There are many ways to mic up a guitar though, a search on google will bring up a lot of different options and opinions.

Eddie, how did you make that bass thump on your soundclick recording? It sounds great - gives the beat but much more subtle than drums.

Hi all,

I have a home studio and have always recorded, I say always but I'm more a vocalist then a guitarist, until now.

So, I want to record my acoustic.

Which is best, to mic up the guitar with an SM57 or use the semi-acoustic and record via a cable?

Are there any drawbacks to either?

Cheers

JD

I have to say that I've only recorded via the pick-up for scratch recordings and have always stuck to using mics. The pick-up will give you a much thinner sound, but that may be what you're after in a particular tune, as Scotty said.

If you have the chance to use a couple of mics, here's a positioning that has become my fav as of late:

One at the 12th-14th fret, one over your shoulder and next to your ear, pointed somewhat downward of course :)

Anyway, here's a recorded example of this.

Open Air - My Take