scotty_b

Fender Amplitude and Waves demo - trying to get a better tone from amp plugins

scotty_b    16

Just trying to get a better tone when recording direct into Cubase.

Recorded through an external preamp (Mindprint Envoice), then Amplitude Fender plugin, from there to a Waves CLA guitar mixing plugin and finally API EQ.

I cannot remember where the backing track came from, but I added some multiband compression on it at the mixing stage to try and give it some more life.

At the mastering stage I used Waves compression , eq, spatial imager, and an ultramaximiser, finally with a dithering plugin to come back to 16 bit resolution.

Guitar was my strat, Kinman avn62 pickups ( neck only on this take, with strings that really need changing!

Please ignore the playing - I am having one of those days when nothing seems quite right and I wonder why I bother.

I think the tone is reasonable though - playing through an external preamp before going into the amp plugin seems to give the guitar more life, and some of the nasty digital frequencies have gone. I normally roll off above 6-7khz, but this time I rolled off the guitar signal at about 10khz (perhaps because the strings are so dead?)

Any comments on the guitar tone from your end gratefully accepted.

Amplitude and waves demo master.mp3

Tekker    1

Wow, awesome playing there Scotty!

You should check out the demo version for Vandal Amp. This is the best amp sim software I've come across.

MAGIX Vandal

I've found that using multiple instances on Vandal on different tracks with different settings (different size amps with different speakers) gives incredible results. :clap:

-tkr

scotty_b    16

Thanks tkr.

The demo is only available for Windows...it sounds good in their videos and mp3s but I don't think it is necessarily any better than the other options from that - I wonder how much outboard gear goes into the final result?

I really like some of the tones from Pod Farm in their promo video, but copying the actual preset still has that grainy digital effect in it.

Is it an external pre, or some sort of eq, or whatever may be used in mastering...that is what I am wondering.

Tekker    1

Hey Scotty,

I don't know about the other audio demos, but I believe the Vandal demos done by Dimi Nalbantov were straight into his M-Audio interface (no preamp or external effects).

Also, here is an sample that I recorded with Vandal:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/zPosts/Rock%20Instrumental.mp3

That's all Vandal for both guitar and bass (it has bass amp settings also that sound amazing). I plugged my guitar/bass straight into my M-Audio interface (ProFire 2626) no external effects or anything and I'm very happy with the results. I also used a few freebie VST effects and the compressor in Samplitude on the whole mix.

I've used a lot of guitar amp sims including Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Voxengo Boogex, and several others but Vandal is by far the best one I've used. Vandal is the first guitar amp sim I've used that actually has good sounding high gain tones. :thumbup:

-tkr

scotty_b    16

Thanks Carol

Tkr, I really like what you are doing on that, sounds great...if a demo for Mac becomes available I might try it out, though I think for the most part that really getting inside the software makes a huge difference. I own Guitar Rig as well, not that I use it much anymore as I prefer Pod Farm over it; though I have heard some great tones out of Guitar RIg from some of their endorsees as well.

I have managed to get some decent high gain tones from Pod Farm using my Ibanez with Dimarzio pickups in it. In general I have found that humbucking pickups respond better than single coils...maybe the treble frequencies in the single coil pickups accentuates the 'digital-nes' of the sound?

I have more work to do!

Have you tried re-amping at all? I am thinking of recording an album, and it would be easiest for me to do all the tracks initially from home, then take my amp down to the studio I have use of and re-amp the whole thing one day.

Thanks for your advice

Tekker    1
Tkr, I really like what you are doing on that, sounds great...if a demo for Mac becomes available I might try it out, though I think for the most part that really getting inside the software makes a huge difference.

Thanks Scotty. :)

I have tried to get inside other amp sims. I don't have a guitar amp (other than a cheapo practice amp) and whenever I play in a band I'm always on drums, so I've never had to get an amp for playign live. When I'm playing/recording at home amp sims is all I've been using for years. I've tried to get good sounds out of Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and several others but have never been happy with any of them. Layering more than one guitar was like adding additional layers of "digital fuzz" and it just never sounded good.

Have you tried re-amping at all?

No, I've never done any re-ampling. I have only ever recorded a real amp only a hand full of times and they played through the amp. I've heard of people doing that though and I imagine that would give great results.

-tkr