All I'm trying to do is find out whether you use metal, plastic or no finger picks on the ends of your fingers. This is not clear from the videos I've seen. [i tried to post last night and new threads were not allowed.]

eddiez152    129

Bruce,

Before you can post a new thread to upload something, your gonna have to get in about 10 replies like hello's, maybe members lets hear you, or other threads.

Then you will be able to post new stuff and upload things of your own. By the way welcome to the forum.

eddie

eddiez152    129

Personally I only use a thumb pick. Can't feel them strings with finger picks. I do keep my finger nails long on my right picking hand though. I also tried nails from the salon. That worked pretty good but the maintenance sucks.

The people that I have seen use finger picks were mostly using the metal ones as they tend to stay closer to the finger and you can form the ring better to your finger.

No committee, hope that helped a little. And I thought you said you tried to post last night. I gave you the answer as to what you need to do.

HIppieDave    0

I have always used just a thumb pick and finger nails. Purely a matter of preference. Many twelve string players use metal finger picks for the volume they get on that Bob Gibson style of twelve string strumming. Leo Kotke, who plays a lot of twelve as well as six string, never uses even a thumb pick as far as I'm aware, let alone finger picks. Whatever floats your boat, as they say.

Clancy    36

Bruce, I think you probably tried posting in the "lesson forums" that's why you couldn't post a thread. You can post in all other forums here.

Kirk doesn't use finger picks at all if it's his lessons you are asking about.

Cheers

Clancy

Kirk Lorange    128

Hi, Bruce. I gave up on picks of any description years ago. I did use finger picks for a long time back in the early 70s but I was travelling around a lot and wound up losing them. Trying to buy them in the Greek Islands was not easy. Now, when I try them on it feels very odd, like trying to tap dance wearing skis or something. I just use my fingers with a bit of nail.

I recently discovered a pretty good product for strengthening nails. It's a simple idea and process. You get a little kit with some self adhesive china silk and a bottle of super glue. You simply cut a little strip of silk, press it onto the end of the nail (about ⅛ of an inch), then you apply a tiny amount of the glue over the silk. Let it dry, trim the ends and file. It works very well and it doesn't affect the health of your nail (like acrylic, which I used to use) because it's just over the end bit, not the whole nail.

When I did use finger picks, I preferred the plastic myself ... I found metal ones too noisy.

carol m    64

That's an interesting product. I use standard Superglue, straight from the tube. Just a thin strip at the end of each nail. Very cheap, doesn't damage the nail, and when it wears off a bit, I put some more on. It makes the nail much stronger but doesn't change the sound from what you'd get from a standard nail.

The only disadvantage is that if you break or damage a nail, you can't add anything, so you have to wait for the nail to grow again. Your product looks like you can build up a nail where there isn't one naturally, which would be useful sometimes.

Hi Bruce (and everyone),

I also have tried everything I could find. I use a flat pick and acrylic on my 2 inner nails. I keep them filed fairly short so they don't get in the way - but they do anyway. My wife is a nail tech, so the maintenance is easy. That maintenance is really only bad if you're hard on your hands. A fill without repair is what ... every 2 weeks? It would be true of letting your nails grow or using the silk. Flesh is by far the easiest - no picks, no nails, and no sparkle - and then using a thumb pick or flat pick stands out against the quieter fingers.

There are a pile of products out there. Time to hit the beauty shops.

Good luck.

Rusty

BigG    0

Hi Everyone:

I use a thumbpick and fingerpicks. I use a Herco thumbpick that is lick a regular pick with a loop for the thumb. For fingerpicks I use Propik FingerTone picks that allow the pad of the finger to remain bare and touch the strings.

I have to agree with Kirk, that they tend to get lost when you absent mindedly leave them somewhere, but as expensive as they are (about $12.00 Cdn a set of 2) I keep buying them.

Gilles

:smilinguitar:

scotty_b    16

I use the Alaska picks on my fingers, along with a Fred Kelly speed pick for the thumb. The Alaska picks are interesting in that they follow the natural shape and direction of the nail, rather than the pad of the finger.