MistressSadako

Balalaika help please

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify any details about a balalaika I have? It's pretty old, I got it from my aunt about 10 years ago, and she got it from a friend who was throwing it away...I'm trying to find some kind of value for it as I'm planning to sell it. It has absolutely no writing or stamps/symbols anywhere on it (that I can see) - very helpful! Any information would be greatly received!

It won't let me post a photo, please let me know if you would like to see it and I'll send it to you!

starsailor    20

Hi Mistresssadako, If you do 5 posts you can post a picture, I have an alto Balalaika which is one of the smaller ones, how big is the Balalaika you have, they go up in sizes, the biggest I think is the Contrabass which is a bit of a Monster, the smallest a Piccolo their very rare though and highly collectable, it can be hard to find out where it was made as the soundhole is so small and there aren't always markings on them, there is usually a label in the soundhole though but it's not easy to read, have a look there if you haven't already checked in there, price well that depends on the condition and which one it is, they don't hold their value that well and the Altos and Primas are quite delicate and not the easiest things to repair.

Oh thanks, I'll post a few more times. It's not in the best condition really, but it's pretty and I didn't want to just give it away if it was worth something lol. It's not that small...I'll measure it and post separately lol

starsailor    20

If the body's in one piece and the necks ok, straight and still firmly attached to the body it will still be playable, some of them do have quite ornate designs, the ones with paintings on them usually come from Russia but they are also made and played in Bulgaria, they are most popular in Eastern Europe, there aren't many players over here in the UK but quite a few in the U.S.A. glad your Aunt stopped her friend throwing it away.

Right I think it's Russian because I couldn't possibly begin to type out what it said on the inside because I don't have the characters on my keyboard!

I couldn't see all of it, but here are just some snippets of what I could see, that I can actually type...

MMN PC CP, PCT 83-72, APTHKY(funny letter like a n but flat across the top?) No 208, COCH T, yanaeba 15

makes absolutely no sense to me!

starsailor    20

Lol, I see your problem, on the upside it has a serial number, just a question of figuring out the maker, computers always let you down, there's never a Russian Keyboard around when you want one, I'll check those words out, might get lucky.

starsailor    20

I've found some interesting things and some makers, the Russian Bride site was interesting:yes: but not quite what I was looking for (only messing).